Minnie Christmas Download

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Minnie Christmas Download

Post by Digifiend »

Beanotown.com has a late 90s Minnie the Minx Christmas strip to download.
http://www.beanotown.com/index.php?id=217

skyromie

Re: Minnie Christmas Download

Post by skyromie »

It's brilliant, ain't it? I'm normally very pleased at how the website operates since the D&G relaunch, but I think they've outdone themselves for the Christmas period. I really do.

I think it's a great location to remind today's youngsters of the quality of work done previously. Some stuff just cannot be reprinted in the comic, so where better to reproduce it than the website?
The weather is windy.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Actually in this case it was possible for it to appear in the comic, as Jim Petrie Minnie's from that era are used whenever Ken Harrison cannot produce his artwork in time. But yes, otherwise you're right.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

skyromie wrote:It's brilliant, ain't it? I'm normally very pleased at how the website operates since the D&G relaunch, but I think they've outdone themselves for the Christmas period. I really do.

I think it's a great location to remind today's youngsters of the quality of work done previously. Some stuff just cannot be reprinted in the comic, so where better to reproduce it than the website?
Aww, thank you for the kind words about the website. We're quite a small staff and adding a website plus BeanoMax has increased our workload a lot this year - but the techie guys in our digital projects department have been (and continue to be) incredibly helpful to us. We're happy with the way the site has gone so far and we've got some ideas for new things we can try with it in the new year. I hope you continue to enjoy the site.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Its been great...love the background info..the past mentioned freely...artists names..how the story was written..

I hope the Dandy website will do the same..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I agree, the Dandy website hasn't had a revamp since before the Xtreme relaunch, it's overdue for one, which I agree should add some of Beanotown's features.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

See Classic Roger at the site..and choose a character from the past..a good feature..

I've left a comment...hope it will come up..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I've downloaded that. They're from Bob Nixon's first run.

Judging by certain replies in other topics saying things like "bring back Biffo" and "bring back Pup Parade", I think one of those two wil be next. I won't be surprised if anyone suggests non-Beano characters.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://www.beanotown.com/index.php?id=228

my comment is now up..anyone for a dvdrom of The Beano ... 8) 8) 8) 8) :D
it could happen one day.heres hoping.. :xfingers:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Not a bad idea. Probably the only way some of those early stories will ever see the light of day again, especially the text ones.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

For a while now there have been discussions within the company about how we can best preserve our old comics - how to scan them, how to store the scans, the logistics of it and so on - it's an absolutely huge job potentially involving tens of thousands of pages. I don't know what decisions have been made but I do know that it's something we take very seriously and it's something we're looking at.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

love to have that job.. 8)

So a dvdrom could be a possibility in the future..maybe when The Beano is 80 years old..or 75..

skyromie

Post by skyromie »

With experience in computer backups any optical media (CD and DVDs) have a shelf life also and are not expected to last forever. In fact, CDs had been given 5 years and DVDs 10, maybe 15.

The best way to adequately store important digital data is a dedicated server. Which needs monthly housekeeping, but will last as long the current technology allows.

10GB hard drives used to be huge 5-ish years ago, we now have 2TB hard drives. That's the future, my friendlies!
The weather is windy.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Nothing to stop you uploading ISO files (the entire contents of a CD, DVD or even Blu-Ray disc) if you have enough storage space and bandwidth. Whether that backup would be legal though...