Ivy has a new artist

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

diegotheterrible

Re: Ivy has a new artist

Post by diegotheterrible »

I wanted to thank you all for your support. I'm glad the strip stroke the right chord among fans, and i'm sure it was Alan's plan all along to go with a creative bang.

I would however, be careful not to let this thread fall into simplistic assessments. Mike is an incredible editor, and an all around great guy who, along with all of the DCT crew, has given me a degree of professional respect i never thought possible. In fact, we have a number of projects coming i just can't disclose yet :shhh: , so whether i cross paths with The Beano again in the near future or not, i say let things take their due course...

There's always The Dandy of course (Beryl! Cuddles and Dimples!), but deep down my heart will always be covered in red and black stripes :notworthy:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Swirly, Pepper the Pony and Lucinda, a Ron Spencer strip, started on 22/9/1984. This was less than a month before Euan took over as editor (according to History of the Beano, he took over in October) and would've been the last strip commissioned by Harry Crammond, and was axed at the end of April 1985... it's replacement was Ivy the Terrible, ironically.

Also for the chopping block, I wouldn't be surprised if Fred's Bed, which came from the Beezer and Topper, might be a casualty (I hope not though), as Alan was a Beezer editor. For the same reason, The Numskulls might be under threat as well.

blaing

Post by blaing »

That is sad news, Diego. :(

I was lucky to strike at least one episode of Ivy when I picked up a copy of The Beano in Melbourne last month.

I hope it won't be too long before we see your work again on The Beano :xfingers:

diegotheterrible

That is sad news, Diego.

I was lucky to strike at least one episode of Ivy when I picked up a copy of The Beano in Melbourne last month.

I hope it won't be too long before we see your work again on The Beano
Thank you for your kind words... if you live in Melbourne you may also look for the ocasional Australian MAD magazine featuring a single panel cartoon ("Another Diego's By...") by yours truly :wink:

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Digifiend wrote: Also for the chopping block, I wouldn't be surprised if Fred's Bed, which came from the Beezer and Topper, might be a casualty (I hope not though), as Alan was a Beezer editor. For the same reason, The Numskulls might be under threat as well.
I don't think the Numskulls will be dropped. They appeared in the Beezer long before Alan became Beezer editor, and they appeared in the Beano some thirteen years before Alan became Beano editor, so don't have that much to do with him. Also, I think they are simply too popular to drop - I think they're probably the fifth most popular strip in the comic (after Dennis, Minnie, Roger and the Bash Street Kids).

However, I agree in hoping that Fred's Bed isn't dropped, it's been good in the Beano both in the form of reprints and as new strips.

I think Alan dropping Calamity James was not just because he was Euan's character, but because he wasn't fond of the strip. The only new James strips to appear during Alan's tenure were in late 2006 (not long after he became editor), any other appearances in that time were reprints.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The modern version of the Numskulls, with Ed instead of the man, only started in 1990 in Beezer and Topper - I think that would've been during Alan's tenure as editor there. Fred's bed debuted in the same issue. And when Ivy was created, Alan was only chief-sub editor of Beano, a role he later returned to after Beezer's demise, before eventually becoming editor.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

For some reason I always thought the Beezer & Topper version of the numskulls from 1990-1993 wasn't quite the modern numskulls as we know it- I think The boy was just called 'our boy' and his head was more football-shaped than Edd's, and the 'skulls themselves looked more like their original designs, and Our Boy only became Edd when the strip moved to the beano, which was when the 'skulls were redesigned. Could be wrong though.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Digifiend wrote:The modern version of the Numskulls, with Ed instead of the man, only started in 1990 in Beezer and Topper - I think that would've been during Alan's tenure as editor there. Fred's bed debuted in the same issue. And when Ivy was created, Alan was only chief-sub editor of Beano, a role he later returned to after Beezer's demise, before eventually becoming editor.
Just a wee thing... after the Beezer & Topper folded, Alan didn't return to the Beano. He was placed in charge of a department which became known as Comic Projects, and stayed there until he moved into the Beano as editor.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Oh, and don't forget Super School - although admittedly that's been unofficially cancelled for several months now.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

swirlythingy wrote:Oh, and don't forget Super School - although admittedly that's been unofficially cancelled for several months now.
Another one of your baseless assumptions?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You have some Super School in the can don't you? It's been too long since that last appeared. I wonder when it'll reappear?

And Diego, this week's Ivy is the breaking news one. How many more are left?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:You have some Super School in the can don't you? It's been too long since that last appeared. I wonder when it'll reappear?
Any delays are my fault. They have a few in stock but I guess they're waiting for more. As soon as I shift this bronchitis and get back to proper sleep/working hours they'll have a few more. Beyond that I don't know yet.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Get well soon Lew.. :( :)

diegotheterrible

And Diego, this week's Ivy is the breaking news one. How many more are left?
Hmmm... probably one or two :)
Any delays are my fault. They have a few in stock but I guess they're waiting for more. As soon as I shift this bronchitis and get back to proper sleep/working hours they'll have a few more. Beyond that I don't know yet
Bronchitis is a bitch... get well soon Lew!