Suspect Beano 1 on eBay

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Suspect Beano 1 on eBay

Post by Lew Stringer »

I can't help wondering who on Earth is bidding on it. £350 so far, but thankfully it hasn't met its reserve so no one's going to "win" it as yet.

Surely any genuine fan with that amount of money to throw at a comic would have already spent £25 on The History of The Beano, which reprints issue 1 and shows what the interiors should look like?

I can only assume the bidders are all investors with no clue about the genuine article. Even so, surely anyone could spot the inconsistencies in the yellow covers and pure white interiors, or that the close up shot reveals a printer's dot screen on the yellowed paper itself.

He's not a comics dealer so perhaps the seller bought it in good faith from someone else, but to me it appears that the covers are a print from a scan of a real Beano 1 (hence the dot screen on the paper itself), creased up a bit in a poor attempt to make it look old, and the interiors are a black & white photocopy/print out.

He only has feedback as a buyer, not as a seller by the way.
Last edited by Lew Stringer on 08 Apr 2011, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I've reported the item as a suspected counterfeit.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

tony ingram wrote:I've reported the item as a suspected counterfeit.

So did I, days ago, but it made no difference.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

ebay wont do anything as they see the price at the moment and are rubbing their hands at the thought of their percentage

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

big bad bri wrote:ebay wont do anything as they see the price at the moment and are rubbing their hands at the thought of their percentage
Which is rather stupid as their own code of practice means that as soon as the winner reports the item as counterfeit on recieving it, they'll have to refund them.

Jon

Post by Jon »

In my experience, if enough users report the item as counterfeit eBay are more likely to remove it before someone gets too seriously ripped off. Could a few more people report it as well?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

tony ingram wrote:I've reported the item as a suspected counterfeit.
Ditto.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

tony ingram wrote:
big bad bri wrote:ebay wont do anything as they see the price at the moment and are rubbing their hands at the thought of their percentage
Which is rather stupid as their own code of practice means that as soon as the winner reports the item as counterfeit on recieving it, they'll have to refund them.
the people bidding may not know its a fake even when they recieve it as they will be so happy thinking they have a genuine beano 1

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

Hmm, 3 hours to go and

"No questions or answers have been posted about this item."

Well I did ask the big question - are they aware that this listing is not for the real deal? And no reply, so I'm thinking I was too trusting in my previous post, lol!

Reported to ebay as well, probably no use though, they only listen to the big companies, I've reported some of those nasty "Battle 1-100" dvds before and still they are listed.

However, if you were, say, wanting to sell your old smartphone you better not mention that it has TomTom installed or your listing will be removed rapid style because of course you didn't ACTUALLY buy TomTom, only a one off license to use it :roll: (needless to say my beloved HTC sold on a second listing with "GPS and navigation software")

Ebay eh, tsk...

edit: pah, (s)he ended the listing half an hour early - bottled it at the last minute :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

meherenow wrote:(s)he ended the listing half an hour early
How do you know that it wasn't eBay that ended the listing, after having taken note of the complaints from our members?

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

Phoenix wrote:
meherenow wrote:(s)he ended the listing half an hour early
How do you know that it wasn't eBay that ended the listing, after having taken note of the complaints from our members?

Because when eBay end listings the listing just disappears and can't be viewed, this one says "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

This happened with my phone (see above). I had to type in all my sales spiel again because I couldn't access the original listing.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The seller must've seen this thread and realised that they'd been rumbled! :lol:

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

There's still another copy listed. That seller is asking for a starting bid of fifty quid...

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

tony ingram wrote:There's still another copy listed. That seller is asking for a starting bid of fifty quid...

"Beano Issue 1 Rare this comic has been framed to keep it preserved, will make a fantastic gift for any collector. I found this in the attic I used to collect the Beano years ago. This is in good condition."

:roll:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

maybe i should frame my replica no1 i got with this years annual from saisburys & sell that for £50