Beano Special #15 - Spooky Special - free gift!?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Jon

Beano Special #15 - Spooky Special - free gift!?

Post by Jon »

Hi all. I have a copy of the Beano Spooky Special (Sep 05 - Jan 06) which is advertised as coming with a "free fab joke book". This joke book was unfortunately lost a while ago but I have now acquired a joke book from the "Beanobooks (Geddes & Grosset)" series of books (you know the type) which may fit the bill. It is entitled "Dead Funny Jokes!" and is indeed "spooky" themed throughout. The real clue is on the back where there is no price but the "promotional copy - not for resale" statement which makes me think it could have been a free gift with something. It seems that this joke book was probably the one given out with Beano Spooky Special, but before I go pairing them up, is there anyone who can confirm this? I know not many of you collect very recent Beano items like this but I hope someone can help me out!

Digifiend

Re: Beano Special #15 - Spooky Special - free gift!?

Post by Digifiend »

Sounds right to me, it's not the only time a Beanobooks joke or puzzle book has been given away with a comic.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

I have a vague memory of that being correct, but I store all my free gift books separately from the comics they came with, so can't say for certain.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I found a copy on eBay (it was issue 15 - found issue 19 first which was also a Spooky Special), but the free gift was missing.

Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks guys. Swirly, does this jog your memory at all?
IMG_3601.JPG
This is the joke book in question. It certainly does seem like type of thing to be given away with a "spooky special".

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Yes, that's exactly the one I was thinking of. I haven't lost it - it's just I can't prove any more than you can which comic it was originally given away with!
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks Swirly. Reckon I'll pair these two up then, seems like it's 99% likely that this was the original free gift. :)

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

if you look in any beanos from around that time there may be an ad showing that iss & free gift