NEW! Dangerous Dan by Nigel P

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: NEW! Dangerous Dan by Nigel P

Post by philcom55 »

If it's any help here's the entry for 'Raven on the Wing' from Steve Holland's Valiant Index.

One of the advantages of getting the earliest issues to feature Raven is that they also contain the final adventure of my all-time favourite Valiant character Jason Hyde - the best-ever text series that never appeared in a story paper (imho).

And while we're talking of classic Solano Lopez strips about pint-sized footballers, did you ever come across his long-running 'Nipper' series, either in Score 'n Roar, Scorcher and Tiger or (best of all) the back-to-back reprints which subsequently appeared in the excellent Roy of the Rovers Monthly during the mid 1990s?

- Phil Rushton

Raven

Post by Raven »

I said stories could develop over a long time, and that proves it!

That's a useful list, Phil*. And, as I've never seen the first instalment (week two is the first I own), it's nice to get that one panel glimpse of it, too!

I have quite a lot of Score 'n' Roars now, but haven't properly started reading Nipper yet (just the first couple) - but looking forward to it.

* Is there a similar one for The Ghostly Guardian, perchance?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:If it's any help here's the entry for 'Raven on the Wing' from Steve Holland's Valiant Index.
It will be very useful indeed. Thanks, Phil.
philcom55 wrote:And while we're talking of classic Solano Lopez strips about pint-sized footballers, did you ever come across his long-running 'Nipper' series
Again, a character I've heard of. In fact, I did buy a Commando-sized story of Nipper in French when I took a school party to Paris sometime in the nineties. I'll read it next week. :D

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Raven wrote:* Is there a similar one for The Ghostly Guardian, perchance?
No problem! :)

- Phil R.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Wonderful! Thanks. And it's by Tom Tully again, so no wonder it's a good story.

I wonder if a nifty moderator might consider moving this little digression to a dedicated Raven on the Wing (with added Ghostly Guardian) thread?

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm sure Dangerous Dan will be back..it was a strange mix of normal and extreem...though I liked the imagination of it..

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Digifiend wrote:Worse, it was recycled. Remember Dangerous Dan McGrew, from 80s Desperate Dan?
This pic is of dangerously low quality (used a webcam, i dont have a camera at hand) but it shows Dangerous Dan from desperate Dan you can just about make him out but under the name of Black Bart instead of Dangerous Dan. The strip is from the back of Classics from the comics no.76.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

An example was already shown, but thanks anyway. I wonder why he was given a different name there?

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Digifiend wrote:An example was already shown, but thanks anyway. I wonder why he was given a different name there?
it appears there was an obscure song called Dangerous Dan McGrew (not McGroo like the character but still very similiar). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shooting_of_Dan_McGrew maybe they realised that and subsequently changed the character's name but Black Bart is not as good as Dangerous Dan McGroo it has less of the evil doppelganger qualities.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:
Digifiend wrote:An example was already shown, but thanks anyway. I wonder why he was given a different name there?
it appears there was an obscure song called Dangerous Dan McGrew (not McGroo like the character but still very similiar). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shooting_of_Dan_McGrew maybe they realised that and subsequently changed the character's name but Black Bart it is not as good as Dangerous Dan McGroo it has less of the evil doppelganger qualities.
i clicked quote instead of edit!!!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:i clicked quote instead of edit!!!
How does that work? I thought you could only post by clicking on Submit.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Phoenix wrote:
Tin Can Tommy wrote:i clicked quote instead of edit!!!
How does that work? I thought you could only post by clicking on Submit.
i wanted to edit my post but clicked quote instead they're right next to each other and then i pressed submit after editing my post without realisng i had actually hit quote. oh and you can post by clicking quote then submit.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

If nobody has replied to a post, you can delete it by clicking a tick box above the subject line when you edit it. It'll be too late for that now, but you'll know in future.