How about a beanotown v dandytown football match

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

yanobandy

How about a beanotown v dandytown football match

Post by yanobandy »

They could have a special issue with a long story inside it about a football match between the two comics. The teams can be: Goalie Benji Edd Fatty Chandra Danny Minnie Toots Fred Ball Boy Dennis Postman Prat Harry Hill Cheryl Cole Simon Cowell Cesc Fabregas Desperate Dan Bananaman George Dragon Pre-skool Prime Minister Boo!

Tin Can Tommy

Re: How about a beanotown v dandytown football match

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

i think they already did that once in a special.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Worth doing again though, I think. Dandy's lineup would be very different now, with only Dan, Bananaman, and Korky surviving even from Xtreme, let alone before then. For the same reason, the time is rife for a sequel to Beanotown Racing.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

It would be interesting...

skyromie

Post by skyromie »

Except that the beano would downright obliterate the dandy these days. Dandy = Plymouth Argyle, Beano = Manchester United.
The weather is windy.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

does anyone know what special this beano v dandy football occurred in I cant remember but there may have been a beano football special in the second series of Beano specials but i have no idea of it's issue number.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

I think you're thinking of the mike pearse story "A funny old game" with the beano all-stars taking on Bash Street School.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

There was another one, a tournament of various teams. One team was The Dandy, and there were several Beano teams, and it was spread over several issues. It's not the Mike Pearse story which was reprinted in the 2010 (and last) Bash Street Kids annual.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

yanobandy wrote:They could have a special issue with a long story inside it about a football match between the two comics. The teams can be: Goalie Benji Edd Fatty Chandra Danny Minnie Toots Fred Ball Boy Dennis Postman Prat Harry Hill Cheryl Cole Simon Cowell Cesc Fabregas Desperate Dan Bananaman George Dragon Pre-skool Prime Minister Boo!
Erm, why would Cesc Fabregas be on the Dandy team? Some good ideas there, but please leave Simon Cowell and Cheryl Cole out - the Dandy team should be made up of Dandy characters, not celebs (especially that particularly obnoxious pair). I'd also suggest leaving Fatty out of the Beano team, and putting in Billy Whizz. I'd imagine Billy's pace would be better in a football team than someone as unfit as Fatty?

By the way, the Mike Pearse's 'Funny Old Game' story was reprinted in the 2009 Bash Street Kids annual, not 2010. I don't have a copy of the original but I'm guessing it was from 1999 due to some of the characters who cameo in the crowd, including short-lived strips like Dean's Dino and Even Steven.

I do recall the tournament Digifiend mentions - I think it was a Ball Boy serial which ran shortly before the Euro 2004 championship as I remember. Most of the stories were drawn by Steve Bright (the introductory strip, Ball Boy's team versus Little Plum's team, and the Beano vs. Dandy match), though the strip where Ball Boy's team faced Billy Whizz's team was drawn by Nigel Parkinson. This then led onto a Beano football special where a number of Dandy characters also appeared.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

Jonny Whizz wrote:
yanobandy wrote:They could have a special issue with a long story inside it about a football match between the two comics. The teams can be: Goalie Benji Edd Fatty Chandra Danny Minnie Toots Fred Ball Boy Dennis Postman Prat Harry Hill Cheryl Cole Simon Cowell Cesc Fabregas Desperate Dan Bananaman George Dragon Pre-skool Prime Minister Boo!
Erm, why would Cesc Fabregas be on the Dandy team? Some good ideas there, but please leave Simon Cowell and Cheryl Cole out - the Dandy team should be made up of Dandy characters, not celebs (especially that particularly obnoxious pair). I'd also suggest leaving Fatty out of the Beano team, and putting in Billy Whizz. I'd imagine Billy's pace would be better in a football team than someone as unfit as Fatty?

By the way, the Mike Pearse's 'Funny Old Game' story was reprinted in the 2009 Bash Street Kids annual, not 2010. I don't have a copy of the original but I'm guessing it was from 1999 due to some of the characters who cameo in the crowd, including short-lived strips like Dean's Dino and Even Steven.

I do recall the tournament Digifiend mentions - I think it was a Ball Boy serial which ran shortly before the Euro 2004 championship as I remember. Most of the stories were drawn by Steve Bright (the introductory strip, Ball Boy's team versus Little Plum's team, and the Beano vs. Dandy match), though the strip where Ball Boy's team faced Billy Whizz's team was drawn by Nigel Parkinson. This then led onto a Beano football special where a number of Dandy characters also appeared.
I hate Cesc Fabregas as he left arsenal, so i'd like a mickey-take at him in The Dandy. Also, SiCo and Cheryl Cole are Dandy characters! I thought it odd that Dean's Dino was in that story, until i figured it was a reprint.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

There is only so far you can go with mickey takes, though. This sort of story works best with the relationships between the real fictional characters. Things like the ball going through Boo every time, George being sent off for attacking the other winger on his own team, Dragon getting sent off for incinerating Calamity James etc.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I agree with Andy's list, but I'd add having Postman Prat as a winger who has problems with his delivery! :D
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

So add your suggested teams!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Dandy would win as desperate dan & bananaman have super strength.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Yeah to make it a fair game (as if it would be) they couldn't play and it just wouldn't be The Dandy without them :lol: