Billy Whizz question.

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Billy Whizz question.

Post by stevezodiac »

Several times now, including on today's show, Danny Baker has related a story where Billy Whizz is interviewed in the street by TV people. He asks when he can watch it and they say "Sorry son but its going out live" at which Billy races home in time to catch himself live on the telly. After hearing Danny mention this story so many times I'd really like to see it here. I presume it is a late 60s early 70s story given that Danny is the same age as me and grew up just down the road from me. (I've come across him variously at Millwall, Manzes pie and mash shop and a Lewisham record shop over the years but never spoken to him).

It cropped up right at the end oh his show in case you want to listen to the podcast.
Last edited by stevezodiac on 20 Feb 2012, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Digifiend

Re: Billy Whiz question.

Post by Digifiend »

Whizz has two Zs, Steve. :P

I'm not familiar with that particular story, but it would be well before my time. If anyone recognises it, I'd like to see it (and I'm sure Jonny Whizz would too, lol).

Jonny Whizz

Re: Billy Whiz question.

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I'd certainly be interested in seeing that strip, heh-heh. 8)

I haven't seen that strip, but I did read an article from The Times where Danny Baker mentioned it so I was aware of its existence.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

stevezodiac

Re: Billy Whizz question.

Post by stevezodiac »

Spelling amended. It was me that put the Danny Baker Times on here a couple of years back. Scan probably deleted by now.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Four years ago, and the scan is still up!
http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Forum/viewtop ... ker#p17723

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes I did find it last night and edited my post to say so but must have forgotten to save it.