Radio 4 program

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

dishes

Radio 4 program

Post by dishes »

Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

babington

Re: Radio 4 program

Post by babington »

Nice program, but why can't someone do a show on comics where the main subject is the artists/ writers/ editors and not some random presenter's memories or opinions? This was how the Dandy anniversary was presented and now they're following the same formula for the Beano's. I know some programming needs to be entertaining but how about treating this 'iconic cultural institution' a bit more seriously? An hour interview with Dave Sutherland, for example, with an interviewer who knows how to get someone to talk about their work and experience properly. Not just a couple of words or anecdotes... If you'd had the chance to interview Hogarth or Gillray, you'd ideally spend more than 2 minutes talking about how his sketch brought back memories.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

So, that's what the "Thanks Danny" was for in this week's issue! Danny Wallace came up with the storyline. Thanks dishes, that link answered a question I asked in the this week's issue thread.

dishes

Post by dishes »

Sorry, we're British, I should have spelt it "programme". I was tired.

Nice interview with Laura Howell.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Post subject: Re: David SutherlandPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:13 am

It's such a shame that Britain doesn't produce a heavyweight fanzine like Fantasy Advertiser or Golden Fun anymore. Dave would be a perfect subject for a long, detailed interview that explored his career and influences in depth. Also, since he came to the comics as a second-generation fan who'd grown up reading the Beano himself he'd probably have lots of interesting things to say about virtually all the major artists who ever worked on the title - most of whom were still there when he came on board in the early 1960s.

For that matter, have any of the bloggers out there thought about contacting DC Thomson to see if something along these lines could be arranged for their own website? (I'm sure Comics UK members could think up lots of interesting questions for him to answer!)

- Phil Rushton
someone must interview him properly...maybe we could all come up with questions and then send them to the editor for David to answer...?

Like whats your favourite colour?
seriously we could do this...

Lets start thinking and typing questions for David..
then we can choose the best and present it..

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Did you have an Artists/ Cartoonists in your family?

Did you draw comics as a kid with school friends/ family member?

What comics did you read...and inspired you to draw or copy?

What did you do for Disney...characters you drew...how did you get the job?

babington

Post by babington »

Great idea Peter. Here are a few questions:

What drawing/ painting materials do you use and how have these changed over the years?

Describe the process by which you produce a piece of comic strip art - is it 'typical' of comics artists or do you have your own idiosyncrasies?

How have films and television and other comics influenced your work?

Do you work alone, or do you get e.g. family or friends or other artists to critique your work (or even contribute to it) before it goes to the editor? Have you ever collaborated with other artists on strips?

Which Beano Book covers did you do? Would you have done anything differently with them if you had had the time and opportunity? Did any design ideas get rejected?

Where and when do you produce a typical Beano strip? How long does it take to do each page? Has this changed over time?

When you started comics work, were you self-taught or did other artists help you, teach you, offer criticism?

Do you do any other kinds of art besides comics?

How does comic art compare with 'fine art' in your view? Why does comic art tend to get seen as the 'lesser' of the two?

Do you document your work, or keep records, photos, of what you produce before it goes off to the publisher?

How is your work a reflection of you?

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Great questions...

As an artist myself I'm always asked how long does it take you!! :)

Anyone got any more questions for David before we send it to the Beano edtior for David to answer..

How do you ghost another artist?