Beano 75th Birthday.

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Beano 75th Birthday.

Post by stevezodiac »

Just seen this in the latest Radio Times. The celebrations are starting early. Its Monday 28th january by the way.

Digifiend

Re: Beano 75th Birthday.

Post by Digifiend »

London? Not again! First Just Dandy was only in Scotland, and now this! At least it'll be on iPlayer.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Well, in this increasingly-shrinking world, it's nice to see the BBC still like to segregate us a bit (sarcasm).

To the iPlayer!
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You can skip the first 20 minutes or so. It's only a third of the programme.
As more and more councils resort to on-the-spot fines to raise revenue, Wendy Hurrell asks if the public are being unfairly penalised. Iain Lee reveals why so much of London is ending up in private hands. And - comedian Roy Hudd celebrates the 75th anniversary of The Beano.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 8_01_2013/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Eight and a half minutes. I recorded it. I went to those Fleet Street offices a few times in the 70s but I don't remember the lift - I must have walked up. I worked as a messenger boy in Fleet Street after I left school. Great days.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Well that was enjoyable - nice to see/hear what Barrie Appleby looks/sounds like after all these years. And the Cartoon Museum's a brilliant place, I've been there twice (bought one of that kid's comics last time I was there as well!).

That "Dennis the Menace from Venice" song is new to me, I'm off to YouTube to find it.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Thank you for the link! I found it quite curious that they still have the Fleet Street offices - they've long since stopped mentioning that they exist on their publications, and of course the Beano office proper (including Mike and Craig's normal desks) is in Dundee.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You don't read Beano's next time page?
Published in Great Britain by DC Thomson & Co. Ltd, 185 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2HS

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I was sure it said the Kingsway offices (former print works) rather than the former premises of S Todd, esquire! Shows how much attention I pay...

What I can tell you is that Mike was not interviewed in no. 185. Like the Courier offices, it's being refurbished!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The latest Yours magazine (for the middle aged like me) has a follow up to the tv programme with Roy Hudd's monthly column.