PPA Best Cover of the Century - vote for the Beano!!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

babington

PPA Best Cover of the Century - vote for the Beano!!

Post by babington »

The Telegraph reports today "The Professional Publishers Association (PPA) has launched a search for the greatest magazine cover of the past 100 years. Members were asked to submit covers for consideration, and a panel of independent industry experts whittled those submissions down to a shortlist of ten covers. The public can choose their favourite cover at http://www.ppa.co.uk/PPA100, casting a maximum of one vote per person per day. The cover with the most votes will be named Cover of the Century."

The Beano no. 2592 from 1999 is one of the ten finalists.

I'm sure everyone will be surprised at how few actually good covers are in the competition. In any case you know how to vote!!

http://www.ppa.co.uk/ppa100/vote/#beano

stevezodiac

Re: PPA Best Cover of the Century - vote for the Beano!!

Post by stevezodiac »

Small piece in tonight's London Evening Standard:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

wow! The best covers of the Century---that's a very tall order......the beano one is a great cover, and it gripped my attention in the past---but is it really the best front cover ever put out by the comic?

NP

Post by NP »

Yes

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I never meant any offence, Nigel---indeed, I wasn't even aware that you drew it! [it's too 'close-up' for me to identify the artist---------it's surely one of your most un-typical covers ever!]

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

It's a striking cover, as I stated above....

NP

Post by NP »

Oh, no, I didn't draw it, but it IS the best Beano cover! See how fair minded I am!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

MULTI-QUADRUPLE :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

and me a so-called 'comics enthusiast!

I'm off to hide under the blankets for 6 months.....

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Beano cover...you say iconic, I say generic. Ditto Darth and the Dalek. I voted for the excellent New Scientist cover, as that one grabbed my attention, ignoring the Beano/Star Wars/Doctor Who triad of my love. See how fair-minded I am? :D
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I assume that cover is by David Parkins, who was Dennis's main artist at the time.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

That site says that issue of the Beano sold 200,000 copies. Although it says that was the highest number of sales that year it's still very impressive and the Beano now sells considerably less than a quarter of that. Im surprised at how much the circulation has fallen in less than 15 years.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Unfortunately, no comic gets 200,000 now. They were pretty much slaughtered by the Internet, and have been very late to catch up (too late for The Dandy). The Beano's sales are currently steady at roughly 38,000, so at least the decline has been stopped. But what the Dandy is doing now with it's digital comics, and Beano is doing with social media, should've been done years ago.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Unfortunately, no comic gets 200,000 now. They were pretty much slaughtered by the Internet, and have been very late to catch up (too late for The Dandy). The Beano's sales are currently steady at roughly 38,000, so at least the decline has been stopped. But what the Dandy is doing now with it's digital comics, and Beano is doing with social media, should've been done years ago.
Any other trends they should watch out for, soothsayer? :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well, as they say, hindsight is a wonder. There's no denying that they were caught out by the speed of change. At least they're doing it right now.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Hmmm, maybe it'd be worth taking out a copyright on 'Intracortical Brainfeed Comics'. :wink:

- Phil R.

BeanoMark

Post by BeanoMark »

This cover was MASSIVE in the comic's history. Massive with a capital M.

Brilliant foresight by Euan, brilliant design by David, captured the imagination of kids all over by recording the highest sale of the year, stood out on the shelves like no other comic (Beano were still doing strips on covers as matter of norm), and finally it was chosen by the PPA themselves to represent their 100 year anniversary in this competition.

*pauses for breath*

Design-wise, it was years ahead of the game. Nothing like generic. It was inspiring.
Beano HQ