The Beano from the week you was born.

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Gilly

The Beano from the week you was born.

Post by Gilly »

Thought I'd set this thread up as a bit of fun since my cousin has bought me The Beano from the week I was born off ebay this week.

This is the cover of mine and it was dated December 5th 1987.

The Dennis the Menace story was him turning his parents house into a castle.
Ivy the Terrible was losing her temper over not being able to do a jigsaw puzzle.
The Billy Whizz story was about everything being a race for him annoying little brother Alfie.
Minnie the Minx was showing some French people that she has Scottish ancestors.
The quarter page Lord Snooty story was about Snitch and Snatch getting square eyes from watching too much TV.
Ball Boy got a job as a waiter to buy new boots.
Dennis' Dad created a car wash type thing to save him a lot of work washing Rasher.
The Bash Street Kids was trying different playground games after Teacher burst their only ball.
Calamity James wrecked havoc with his bad luck in a game of Football.
In Pup Parade Bones became Sherlock Bones to solve the mystery of who took a bite out of peeps pie.
There was a Karate Sid strip which had him getting beaten by a girl.
There was a Little Monkey Strip which showed him growing a beanstalk.
Roger the Dodger Dodged his father out of his Dinner.
In Number 13 Boris was teaching a bat how to read.
Finally in Gnasher and Gnipper a postman was acting like Tarzan to escape getting Gnashed by them.

Does anyone else know about The Beano from the week they was born?

blaing

Re: The Beano from the week you was born.

Post by blaing »

I have made a few posts on the comics that was on sale the week I was born. Below are a few of them...

The Beezer, the Dandy and the Topper, part 1 and Part 2

and here for the the Beano, Sparky and the Victor

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I was born on a Saturday and won the Dandy with my day of birth on the cover from ebay. A few weeks later I came into possession of a second copy. (I think it was a double that my mate Steve gave me). Obviously there is a Beano with the same date and, despite having scores of fifties Beanos, I've never acquired that one.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Thinking about it I should have probably made this thread any comics from the week you was born and put it in the general section, rather than just The Beano as it might be a bit too restrictive.

I have probably bored everyone on here before by mentioning The Dandy from the week I was born so I'll just mention it one last time.

It was this one:

Very interesting posts by the way blaing.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

my first-ever published cartoons came out on my 23rd birthday [or at least, that was the day I discovered it]

my first-ever paid cartoon work [a vast pub mural] was completed on my 21st birthday

I was born on Walt Disney's 60th birthday

The Dec 5 1987 issue above was on my 26th birthday

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Mine's this one.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

[/img]
i still cant seem to put pics up on here as i tried to put a few comics from my bitrth week but when i clicked on img i was expecting to be able to click a pic on my hard drive like on facebook :(

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Upload them as attachments (the option should be just below the editing window in full editor mode) or put them on Imageshack or Photobucket. Then put the url in the IMG codes. Or do what I did, and do a search. I checked Comic Vine, came up trumps. Same procedure, once you find them, link in IMG codes.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Thanks Digi i will try that,does everyone do it that way? I hope the mods of this site can make it easier to do like FB :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The methods I mentioned are common to all message boards.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I have learnt how to put pictures on here just by starting this thread, it took me half an hour just to do that first post. :lol:

SID

Post by SID »

Here is my birthday issue (the issue date being my actual birthday).
Attachments
Beano25071964.gif
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

A masterwork of Watkins economy and layout, Sid---you must be very proud of that cover.

SID

Post by SID »

I like it yep. Also got a similar issue of The Dandy but it is right at the bottom of my Dandy collection to dig it out at the moment.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've not seen my birthday Beano before though maybe I have if its the Christmas Beano
Dec 20th 1974!