Free four page Beano with Time Out

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Free four page Beano with Time Out

Post by stevezodiac »

Today's Time Out free magazine has a four page copy of the Beano in the centre pages. Dennis and the Bash Street Kids visiting London. I am at work now so will tell you more when I get home. I have several copies.

Digifiend

Re: Free four page Beano with Time Out

Post by Digifiend »

Promotion for that Beanotown exhibition I assume. I just checked if a digital edition exists (since Time Out is only available in London) but it exists only in app form and they charge you 69p for it (if the print edition is free, so should the digital version, don't know why it isn't). If you can, maybe scan those four pages please?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I think you mean "read all abaht it". I'll pick up some more copies tonight at Canary Wharf on my way home.

NP

Post by NP »

I'm sure everyone reading my blog recently managed to pick one up today- I did mention it a couple of times in the last few days!!
http://nigelparkinsoncartoons.blogspot. ... otown.html
http://nigelparkinsoncartoons.blogspot. ... -news.html
Funny no-one seemed to notice it!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Like I said, Time Out is only available in London or online - so the majority of fans won't have been able to get it even if they knew.

As for those blog posts, well everyone's focus was on the Beanotown exhibition, wasn't it? Maybe some people could do a twofer, visit Southbank and get a copy of Time Out at the same time? :)

Bob Frankland

Post by Bob Frankland »

I have some pix of the Beanotown event. External only. I do not know how to post pix, if somebody wants to post them please pm me.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

It was seeing the Bash Street Kids on the contents page which lead me to believe they were in the comic. Anyone who lives in London can pick one up from Canary Wharf. There are a couple of newsagents in the shopping centre who have them in a feeder drum in their doorway - just in case you were thinking you could only get one when they are handed out on Tuesdays.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Hmm, not sure about that. Beautifully drawn, obv, but a couple of surprisingly risque jokes for The Beano. And the M*****C*** sponsorship/product placement makes me feel queasy. Ick. "C'mon kids, get into debt you can't afford to pay off!"

I wish that Time Out insert didn't exist, basically.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

MC...product placement is nothing new and, it seems, a necessary 'evil'.

I'm more concerned about the overt Americanisation. I mean, 'Booger', really..!???? :o :D
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

-MikeD- wrote:MC...product placement is nothing new and, it seems, a necessary 'evil'.
But in a kids' comic?

Ah, but Time Out is an adult publication

Yes, erm, good point, me. But! It's a free publication that Beano-fan kids could easily pick up (or see their parents' copy).

I am not against product placement per se, but in a Dennis the Menace strip? No thanks.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

I can't believe that joke about Gnasher and the corgi got into the final script - that joke seemed to suit a tasteless Viz knock-off rather than appear in a comic strip which only last year was about a kid who loved inventing and was incredibly soft.

I can't stand it when product placement is in comics - there's a reason Wenlock and Mandeville sucked so much.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Nigel Auchterlounie

Post by Nigel Auchterlounie »

WizzKid97 wrote:I can't believe that joke about Gnasher and the corgi got into the final script - that joke seemed to suit a tasteless Viz knock-off rather than appear in a comic strip which only last year was about a kid who loved inventing and was incredibly soft.

I can't stand it when product placement is in comics - there's a reason Wenlock and Mandeville sucked so much.
I was surprised (and pleased) that joke made it though. Time out is read exclusively by grown ups. So I felt something for them early on was needed. It's not something that I would have used in the regular comic.
If my 8 year old read it he would think that it was nice that they made friends.
Viz would have probably shown them being friends. :)

As for the product placement. It's sponsored by MasterCard. The whole thing. Without them no festival no Beanotown exhibition no strip in Timeout.

My first proper strip was an advert for toys. The whole thing was product placement. I embraced it and did the very best I could with it. The Bogies strip actually lasted longer than the toy range. What would you say if McDonalds came to you and asked for a regular strip about Ronald and the gang?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

True about Bogies. By the time the strip ended with the print Dandy's demise, the Bogies website was already gone.

As for the product placement, it's a necessary evil. After all, as you say, Mastercard are paying for the exhibition!

I'm just glad that that strip matches the current style in the comic, rather than being how the strip was a year ago when it still had the heavy influence from the 2009 cartoon.

NP

Post by NP »

Nigel Auchterlounie wrote:What would you say if McDonalds came to you and asked for a regular strip about Ronald and the gang?
Ooh, can I answer that one??