Wee Peem

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

matrix

Wee Peem

Post by matrix »

Like some others on here I am also enjoying reading from the 1950s, annuals in particular. I Only have two 'Beano' annuals from the 50s and after revisiting them in more detail I have really enjoyed them, some great strips and stories.
One strip that I found interesting was 'Wee Peem's magic pills', I found it a really fun strip.
There's nothing on the 'Beano' site that I can find and after searching on the interweb found it was an in and out strip.
Can anyone add any more info or samples, eg better earlier or later, does anyone else like it?
These scans are from the 1953 annual.
Attachments
Wee.Peem.jpg
Wee.Peem.2.jpg

Digifiend

Re: Wee Peem

Post by Digifiend »

There's a lot of stories not mentioned on the Retro Beano website, and it appears to be no longer updated (resulting in Ivy the Terrible's entry being out of date, as it says she's ongoing when she's now been dropped - it also says a few others are finished when they've come back). Wee Peem not being mentioned there is hardly surprising.

I can't add any info other than what's on the Wikipedia article, as the info there comes from the only source I have - The History of the Beano: The Story So Far.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wee_Peem

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The Wikipedia entry seems to cover most of the bases as far as Wee Peem's Beano appearances go. All I can add is the fact that 'Peem' was apparently an old scots nickname for anyone called 'James' - which explains why Thomson artist James Walker was invariably referred to as 'Peem' Walker.

I agree that the short series with the giant head and magic pills stands out in particular for its surreal qualities: a shame it didn't last longer (though maybe the versatile Charles Grigg was needed elswhere after making his Beano debut with this strip). Thanks for showing those two examples Matrix - I'm guessing they were taken from the 1953 annual as that's one I don't own myself.

- Phil Rushton

...Ooops! I just noticed you'd already said they were from the 1953 annual! :oops: (In fact I think that might have been the only 'annual' outing for that particular incarnation of the strip)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:I just noticed you'd already said they were from the 1953 annual! :oops: (In fact I think that might have been the only 'annual' outing for that particular incarnation of the strip)
Just for additional information, according to The Beano Diaries, Wee Peem appeared in the 1940 and 1941 Beano annuals, drawn by James Jewell (no, not that one, before you ask).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Thanks. I've updated the Wikipedia article with that additional information.

matrix

Post by matrix »

philcom55 wrote:The Wikipedia entry seems to cover most of the bases as far as Wee Peem's Beano appearances go. All I can add is the fact that 'Peem' was apparently an old scots nickname for anyone called 'James' - which explains why Thomson artist James Walker was invariably referred to as 'Peem' Walker.
I agree that the short series with the giant head and magic pills stands out in particular for its surreal qualities: - Phil Rushton
I did wonder about the name. The "surreal qualities" as you say definately kept drawing me back to it, I wanted to see more!
I was hoping that someone on here may have some earlier examples, plus some more 'Magic Pills' material. :xfingers:

Anyway thanks for the info all, it's one I will keep an eye out for.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I went through my 40s Beanos last night but no trace of Wee Peem. My 50s Beanos are elsewhere in the flat.

matrix

Post by matrix »

stevezodiac wrote:I went through my 40s Beanos last night but no trace of Wee Peem. My 50s Beanos are elsewhere in the flat.
Thanks Steve, he only appeared briefly in the early 40s, then again in the early 50s until 52 with his magic pills (as per wiki), if you do find them, it would be great to see the weekly version, thanks.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

matrix wrote:in the early 50s until 52 with his magic pills (as per wiki)
To save Steve some search time, and courtesy of Ray Moore's indispensable The Beano Diaries, Wee Peem's Magic Pills ran between 486 (Nov. 10 1951) and 507 (Apr. 5 1952).