Dennis the Menace and Gnasher starts 8th July on CBBC!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Dennis the Menace and Gnasher starts 8th July on CBBC!

Post by Digifiend »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YanG9gUnp4
@ChrisIsSnowie wrote:Just so you know, brand new #DennisAndGnasher kicks off on Monday 8th July @ 3:45pm on the CBBC Channel. Starring me as Dennis! @BeanoComic
Dennis the Menace and Gnasher (yes, they're using the full name this time!) starts at 3.45pm on the CBBC Channel next Monday. Character designs are the same as 2009 except for Mum and Dad, who match the new designs from the comic. Angel Face is added to the cast.

SID

Re: Dennis the Menace and Gnasher starts 8th July on CBBC!

Post by SID »

I see that they have renumbered the series (my Tivo shows it as Series 1 Episode 1).

It would have been nice if Dennis had his 'classic' look.

Hmmm. Co-incidental that DCT is launching Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine next month? ;)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Definitely no coincidence. They wanted to launch a tie-in comic for the series, and sacrificed BeanoMAX to do so. I know MAX wasn't cancelled due to sales figures, they were nowhere near as low as The Dandy's.

SID

Post by SID »

Still it makes sense. I am sure that Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine will sell just as well as BeanoMAX if not better.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Hopefully. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, Dennis is the best known character in the Beano. Hopefully, it'll do well enough to resurrect his annual too.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

My verdict: the menace is back.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Definitely. Gnasher bites bums, Dennis uses weapons and booby traps. This is the closest to his comic persona in any of the cartoons. 1996 version was often a hero, foiling crooks, and at times seemed to be set in a fantasy world (the tooth fairy episode is especially out of place). 2009's was simply not a menace. I did notice that the "Plan D & G" and "Result!" catchphrases have been kept though.

SID

Post by SID »

Good episode. With his new Megazine, it certainly seems to be the Year of the Menace. :D

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Its surprising it had some teeth that episode..
Angel-face must be based on the Ken Reid character name..

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I am led to believe that that is absolutely no coincidence!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well, both characters are devious girls who pretend to be nice. Seems to me that the new character is a modernisation of the original.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

AndyB wrote:I am led to believe that that is absolutely no coincidence!
No coincidence at all. She's not the same character but she's a riff on the old Dandy character, using some of the same character tropes. Her evolution was one of the most interesting and challenging parts of the TV show's process for me.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Classic Comics wrote:Her evolution was one of the most interesting and challenging parts of the TV show's process for me.
I don't know enough about the original Angel Face to be able to assess the changes, but I can say that this morning I watched the iPlayer episode that Digi linked us to, and I was very impressed by it. I thought there might be teething problems, an occasional lull in the action, too much focus on Dennis and Gnasher, and so on, but no. As a piece of cartoon theatre it was excellent, so congratulations to all those whose combined efforts put it together. I shall watch more episodes, and as I don't normally concern myself with comics, that's a recommendation in itself!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Biffo Street and Snooty Avenue were mentioned in today's episode. It seems two of the Beano's famous stars got streets named after them! :D