Beano - new direction? *** locked ***

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Beano - new direction?

Post by Phoenix »

Kid Robson wrote:Er, you don't call being suddenly for me to completely against me an about turn?
Apart from the fact that I thought you were referring to my response to BeanoMark's post, I couldn't possibly have interpreted the expression about turn as any kind of reference to you because I haven't agreed with anything you've said so far.
Kid Robson wrote:And I think you'll find I was humorously responding to someone else's assessment of my intelligence. (Which, strangely enough, is in accord with Mensa's.)
So, let's get this straight. You were originally agreeing with me, but in what appeared to be a deceptively self-mocking way. Now you feel the need to bolster your argument by implying that you are a member of Mensa. If you are, then the apparent self-mocking was calculated to deceive, and was actually a serious, giving-yourself-airs gloating. If not, then even mentioning Mensa was calculated to deceive. So you are misleading us either way.
Kid Robson wrote:sometimes it's more expedient for site owners to simply throw the baby out with the bathwater. Time will tell if I'm that baby.
The choice isn't down to me, but if it were, I would hang on to the bathwater.

AndyB
Throgmorton

New Direction

Post by AndyB »

Hi folks

I've temporarily removed the New direction thread due to the very heated tempers.

Over the weekend I will bring back all the stuff that is strictly on topic. In the meantime, I am going to ask people to play the ball, not the man.

Please.

(Back into holiday mode for 24 hours!)

Al
Sir!

Re: Beano - new direction? Take 2

Post by Al »

Following on from Andy's previous post (and so that he can enjoy the last day of his holiday without 'looking forward' to working on the original thread), I have moved over all the topic-relevant posts from the original topic to this one and left the remains in the original topic (which has been locked).

Heated discussions are always welcome here, as long as they remain on topic. If people disagree with other people, that's fine, we just ask that it's kept civil and the worst case scenario is that people simply agree to disagree.

I hope the forum can continue in it's traditional way.

Thank you,

Al

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Al wrote:I have moved over all the topic-relevant posts from the original topic to this one and left the remains in the original topic (which has been locked).
Threads have been locked before, Al, but even now we are still able to read the posts that were present prior to those lockdowns. For the benefit of those people who would like to read, or refer to, the non topic-relevant posts from the discussion in question, the ones that you describe as the remains in the original topic, which should still be available unless you have introduced some kind of selective censorship, could you please tell us where have you put them.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

We have them archived privately. I think there are a few posts to be readded to this thread as well, which I will not do until at least this evening or tomorrow.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

AndyB wrote:We have them archived privately.
So you have introduced censorship, a procedure normally associated with secretive regimes that are afraid to have their questionable activities revealed. Comicsuk has always prided itself on being a friendly and open forum, and this is why people feel comfortable posting here. Every so often, actually fairly frequently, as we have seen in the past, threads drift away from their original aim because a poster decides to follow up a tangential point raised by someone. Under these circumstances, nobody argues if Admin attempts to get the thread back onto its original track, or, as has happened a number of times, splits the thread to allow both the original theme and the new direction to continue unhindered. That is just common sense.

In his post this morning, Al said Heated discussions are always welcome here, as long as they remain on topic. The one in question clearly didn't remain on the original topic, but why then did Admin not do what they normally do, and split them up? Al also said If people disagree with other people, that's fine, we just ask that it's kept civil, and the worst case scenario is that people simply agree to disagree. Now this is why I can't understand AndyB's action. It's as if he is afraid of being criticised for not doing his duty. The fact that he is on holiday is neither here nor there, but it might have been better if Al had stepped in to allow Andy an undisturbed holiday. I'm sure we all accept that the thread had moved well away from its starting point, and was ripe for splitting, but it is not at all the case that it was uncivil or out of control. Posters were certainly disagreeing with each other, but that's the nature of discussions, and I doubt whether it escaped people's attention that these were carefully argued. We might eventually have reached Al's worst case scenario, and had to agree to disagree, but the discussion should have been allowed to continue to that point. You just can't have an open forum, and censorship of posts. It's a contradiction in terms. And in case there is any doubt about the matter, while I disagree profoundly with Kid Robson, I certainly support his right, while he is a member of comicsuk, to put his views forward without any interference from Admin.

So, I return to the thrust of my post earlier this morning. As we are still able to read the posts that were present prior to previous Admin lockdowns, the total removal of the offending section of this thread to AndyB's private archive, rather than just having it split off and then locked, is censorship, a procedure that in most people's opinion has no place in an open forum such as comicsuk. On behalf of all right-minded members, I call for it to be replaced in the Beano forum so that any interested people can read it at their leisure.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

The reason for our actions is that Andy usually splits and re-directs posts, because he's very good at doing that. I've never done it before the topic in question and I've missed sending over a few posts from the old thread to the new thread.

When Andy returns from holiday and settles down, he'll be tidying it all up. In the meantime it will remain unavailable. I certainly have no qualms about making it available to all and sundry so that people can read it, link to it, copy bits from it, etc once its been tidied up.

I will only remove it if, in an extreme case, it becomes libelous for whatever reason.

Al

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Al wrote:When Andy returns from holiday and settles down, he'll be tidying it all up. In the meantime it will remain unavailable. I certainly have no qualms about making it available to all and sundry so that people can read it, link to it, copy bits from it, etc once its been tidied up.
Thank you, Al. I look forward to its early reappearance.
Al wrote:I will only remove it if, in an extreme case, it becomes libelous for whatever reason.
Well, presumably you've read that section of the thread. There is nothing of that kind in there as far as I'm aware but, even if there were, there would be no need to excise more than the post, or section thereof, that contained the libellous remark. As you are well aware, I would never recommend using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Al wrote:The reason for our actions is that Andy usually splits and re-directs posts, because he's very good at doing that. I've never done it before the topic in question and I've missed sending over a few posts from the old thread to the new thread.

When Andy returns from holiday and settles down, he'll be tidying it all up. In the meantime it will remain unavailable. I certainly have no qualms about making it available to all and sundry so that people can read it, link to it, copy bits from it, etc once its been tidied up.

I will only remove it if, in an extreme case, it becomes libelous for whatever reason.

Al

I'd certainly have no problem with the comments being restored - as long as it was all the comments, in order to show context. Contrary to the claim of someone on his Twitter site who said it was evidence of my 'aggression', I believe it demonstrates the exact opposite.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Yes I'd also like to see the full thread reinstated (even if it's locked) so there's no doubt in anyone's mind what was actually said.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Beano - new direction? *** locked ***

Post by AndyB »

Full thread reinstated and locked.