Beano - new direction? *** locked ***

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Kid Robson

Re: Beano - new direction?

Post by Kid Robson »

You could well ask does this other member have a history with me. Yes, to both versions of the question, but that's not something I was going to bring with me to this forum. (Kid Robson.)

I dont think you have managed it with the insinuation about Lew above. (Starscape.)

..with the intention of starting with a clean slate (Kid Robson.)

Fine. Lets do that. (Starscape)

It's important to point out that what you call an 'insinuation' was made after the individual concerned used Twitter to endorse another member's unacceptable behaviour which breached the rules of this forum, and criticised the forum for accepting me as a member. Furthermore, that other member has rudely 'dissed' the entire forum on his Twitter account, and the person to whom you refer, going by his own words, is in total agreement with the other member's tone and attitude.

If his endorsement of insulting language towards myself and the forum doesn't spring from career self-interest, then I am forced to conclude that it results from his pursuit of a grudge against me because of the 'history' to which you allude. The first option is understandable and more charitable, I would've thought, but, of course, neither possibility is mutually exclusive.

I came here with no 'baggage' or personal agenda motivated by past events. It's a shame that the two individuals concerned, and even yourself to some extent, don't seem to share such sentiments.

Hopefully, that's now an end to the matter.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kid Robson wrote:Furthermore, that other member has rudely 'dissed' the entire forum on his Twitter account
The entire forum? Every member? Wow.

Can you supply a quote, and in context? A link would be good too. ta.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Phoenix wrote:
AndyB wrote:2: Respect other people’s views and respond constructively, not insultingly or antagonistically.
In what way is the following comment not antagonistic?
Kid Robson wrote:What's more interesting - if not actually amazing - is that DCT allows him to publicly associate himself with the Beano on his Twitter account. His language is more than slightly ripe for someone connected to a comic which kids buy and who might visit his site attracted by his username.

Oh dear, my presence here certainly seems to be putting a few people'e noses out of joint, doesn't it? I have to say that this persistent attempt to make me the nucleus of a controversy does no one any favours, and serves only to reveal some personal prejudice against me. However, to answer your points (which I'll have to do in segments as I can't seem to include more than 3 quotes at once), It's not antagonistic, because it's a simple statement of the truth. It's very telling that, in criticising me, you don't seem to have a problem with BeanoMark's blatant insults.
Last edited by Kid Robson on 08 Aug 2013, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Wow from these last few posts, if this is the Beano's new direction then we are all in for a treat. :wink:

Can we please get back on topic, everyone has their own opinions and I don't feel obliged to share mine if we are not going to respect them.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:I think Lew was simply being loyal to a friend - no need to make any mercenary assumptions.
I've never met Mark personally, and "ingratiating" myself with him would make no odds as he doesn't hire or fire at DCT, so you're right there was no agenda to my agreeing with him. It just seemed somewhat bizarre ("sickening" is how I put it at the time) that his reaction to Mr.Robson's bad taste joke was criticised more than the 'joke' itself.
philcom55 wrote:All things considered maybe it'd best for his own peace of mind if he withdraws from this particular 'battlefield' for a spell.

- Phil Rushton
According to Mark's controversial post that's exactly what he has done, and during the current off-topic pot stirring and mud slinging I'm inclined to follow suit. (And no, that's not directed at "the entire forum", or you come to that Phil. :wink: )

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Kid Robson wrote:Furthermore, that other member has rudely 'dissed' the entire forum on his Twitter account
The entire forum? Every member? Wow.

Can you supply a quote, and in context? A link would be good too. ta.

I think it's rather disingenuous of you to make such a request after BeanoMark (the 'other member' referred to) has suddenly decided to 'protect' his site, making it inaccessible to non-members. However, this is an actual quote: "They can all go f**k themselves." Also: "They're welcome to it. F*ds" To which you remark: "And somehow you're painted as the villain. (That seems pretty ingratiating to me - Kid.) It's all gone Bizzarro (sic) World over there. Sickening. I'm done with it." I see, you completely disagree with him then? How silly of me to make such a mistake.

Now, is anybody really left in any doubt that this is a vendetta against me by a few disgruntled individuals determined to drive me from 'their' territory? Or to have the site owner ban me because I'm the focus of a controversy? All I did was get insulted.
Last edited by Kid Robson on 08 Aug 2013, 14:53, edited 10 times in total.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Phoenix wrote:I don't doubt that Mr Robson is bright, and could bring other perspectives to the forum, but in my opinion members in general are only likely to welcome him if his future contributions to our debates are considerably less aggressive, less dismissive, more respectful and measured in tone. He has said I don't regard people expressing their opinion as a personal rebuff. He really needs to mean that.
Yes, I modestly concede that I am pretty bright - bright enough to know that nowhere have I been aggressive on this forum, and - considering that I've been called an idiot who spouts urine - I think my responses have been extremely measured in tone. I assume, Phoenix, that you consider BeanoMark's comments to be the model of respectability?

On the point of my so-called 'bad-taste' joke, as someone has described it, it is no such thing. I am sure that everybody has told jokes of the following nature: Doctor in hospital: "Good news and bad news, Mr Smith. Which do you want first?" "The bad," says Smith. "You're going to die in about three days," say the doctor. "What's the good news?" asks Smith. "The guy in the next bed wants to buy your slippers!"

Being told your (unnamed) terminal illness is in remission is good news. Being hit and killed by a bus after leaving the doctor's is bad news. I was simply making a humorous comparison (in the same vein as the 'slippers' joke) to the news that Roger the Dodger's original dad has 'returned' (good news), but a particular artist whose style I dislike is drawing him (bad news). And it's perhaps worth reiterating - at no point, contrary to repeated assertions by BeanoMark, did I make a joke 'about' cancer.

The fact that a few individuals in pursuit of personal agendas have pounced on this with frenzied fervour in order to attack me and compel my removal is simply ridiculous. Let's try and retain a sense of perspective - please.
Last edited by Kid Robson on 08 Aug 2013, 14:59, edited 2 times in total.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Lew Stringer wrote:
philcom55 wrote:All things considered maybe it'd best for his own peace of mind if he withdraws from this particular 'battlefield' for a spell.

- Phil Rushton
According to Mark's controversial post that's exactly what he has done, and during the current off-topic pot stirring and mud slinging I'm inclined to follow suit. (And no, that's not directed at "the entire forum", or you come to that Phil. :wink: )
'Pot stirring and mud slinging?" You're right - but it's hardly an accusation which accurately applies to myself.

Well, I've had my say in this sorry state of affairs, so, unless it's something that really needs to be addressed, those that wish to can carry on with this topic by themselves. It's obvious that there's an intention in some quarters to provoke me into saying something that can be deliberately misconstrued and used against me (which seems to be just about anything I say), so roll on another topic.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kid Robson wrote: I think it's rather disingenuous of you to make such a request after BeanoMark (the 'other membe'r referred to) has suddenly decided to 'protect' his site, making it unaccessible to non-members. However, this is an actual quote: "They can all go and f**k themselves." Also: "They're all f*ds" To which you remark: "And somehow you're painted as the villain. (That seems pretty ingratiating to me - Kid.) It's all gone Bizzarro (sic) World over there. Sickening. I'm done with it."
Untrue. That comment of mine was made before the ones by Mark which you quote.

From past experience of "debates" with you, knowing how it proliferates to no one's good, I can't be bothered to respond to the rest.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kid Robson wrote:It's very telling that, in criticising me, you don't seem to have a problem with BeanoMark's blatent insults.
When I joined comicsuk I read through all the posts in any thread where I felt like adding a comment. I still do. You obviously haven't read those on this thread, or you would have spotted this response that I made to BeanoMark's rant. What on earth is the matter with you? Posts like this contaminate our forum. Members will surely not be sorry to see the back of you, because you clearly have nothing of value to offer us.
Kid Robson wrote:Now, is anybody really left in any doubt that this is a vendetta against me
In the absence of sound, vision, and prior acquaintance, we can only try to understand a person's attitude and intentions by interpreting what he/she says. Now the issue of a vendetta wasn't present on the forum before you joined, Mr Robson, so you must have brought it with you. It just seems as though you were ready for a fight from the off, and just had to wait for, or engineer, an opportuity to introduce it, or continue it for all I know, on this forum.
Kid Robson wrote:All I did was get insulted.
Really? You sound for all the world like Luis Suarez, hands in the air protesting his innocence, and then saying All I did was try to get his arm out of my mouth, ref.

starscape

Post by starscape »

I occasionally read Kid's blog and wallow in the Bronze/Silver Age nostalgia. No axe to grind.

If there's a storm on Twitter, leave it there. There's a good reason why many of us don't use that unregulated site.

If there is a history between you and another member, leave it there. Ignore each other. Add to Foe in the User Control Panel. I certainly do that with certain members and I know others do too.

Anything else means either the site dies or people get banned. It's not the forum for conflict over respectful disagreement.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:I don't doubt that Mr Robson is bright
Kid Robson wrote:Yes, I modestly concede that I am pretty bright - bright enough to know that nowhere have I been aggressive on this forum
Obviously not all that bright then.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Phoenix wrote:
Kid Robson wrote:It's very telling that, in criticising me, you don't seem to have a problem with BeanoMark's blatent insults.
When I joined comicsuk I read through all the posts in any thread where I felt like adding a comment. I still do. You obviously haven't read those on this thread, or you would have spotted this response that I made to BeanoMark's rant. What on earth is the matter with you? Posts like this contaminate our forum. Members will surely not be sorry to see the back of you, because you clearly have nothing of value to offer us.
Kid Robson wrote:Now, is anybody really left in any doubt that this is a vendetta against me
In the absence of sound, vision, and prior acquaintance, we can only try to understand a person's attitude and intentions by interpreting what he/she says. Now the issue of a vendetta wasn't present on the forum before you joined, Mr Robson, so you must have brought it with you. It just seems as though you were ready for a fight from the off, and just had to wait for, or engineer, an opportuity to introduce it, or continue it for all I know, on this forum.
Kid Robson wrote:All I did was get insulted.
Really? You sound for all the world like Luis Suarez, hands in the air protesting his innocence, and then saying All I did was try to get his arm out of my mouth, ref.
Yes, I read your original response, but then you seemed to do an about turn. While old antagonisms toward me certainly seem to have reared their ugly heads with my arrival, as I'm the object of them and not the instigator, I can hardly be blamed for that. As for engineering it, there's no way I could have anticipated BeanoMark's over the top reaction to a simple joke. Nor could I have forseen certain people appearing determined to misconstrue or find fault with everything I say, as your imaginative speculations on my reasons for being here seem to confirm.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Phoenix wrote:
Phoenix wrote:I don't doubt that Mr Robson is bright
Kid Robson wrote:Yes, I modestly concede that I am pretty bright - bright enough to know that nowhere have I been aggressive on this forum
Obviously not all that bright then.
Ah, now you resort to insults against me and thereby reveal your bias. I won't bite. Shame 'though.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

starscape wrote:I occasionally read Kid's blog and wallow in the Bronze/Silver Age nostalgia. No axe to grind.

If there's a storm on Twitter, leave it there. There's a good reason why many of us don't use that unregulated site.

If there is a history between you and another member, leave it there. Ignore each other. Add to Foe in the User Control Panel. I certainly do that with certain members and I know others do too.

Anything else means either the site dies or people get banned. It's not the forum for conflict over respectful disagreement.

I'd agree, while perplexedly pointing out that it was you who raised the matter of 'history' - which I politely declined to get involved in.