Beano - just for kids?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Tin Can Tommy

Re: Beano - just for kids?

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Kid Robson wrote:Someone (NP?) mentioned the 3 favourite strips box that used to appear in comics, which were actually pretty useless at the end of the day. Only a tiny minority of readers actually wrote in, the majority not being quite so invested in having a say.
I wonder whether online polls, which the Beano has done a couple of, get more people to vote for their favourite strips. It's a lot easier to vote online then fill something in and send it off in the post.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

In the 80s, I remember my sister was reading the Beano and enjoying it - she said it was written with teenagers in mind. Also said many adults enjoy it too.

Fast forward to today & adults who've been fans says it just doesn't appeal to that broad age group.

Makes me think that people often go on about how great old children's television was as it could appeal to adults too, just like the comics once did.

starscape

Post by starscape »

I really don't know that there could ever be a big demand from adults. I'm obviously a comic reader myself but I really struggle to enjoy kids humour comics from the past or present. It really is just too childish for me. And if it is for me, then I can't see the non-comic buying public enjoying them...even if it was to return to the Sixties/Seventies humour.

Viz I find hilarious. Then again, it is an adult comic. Enjoying Viz doesn't mean enjoying the Beano. I can remember the 2000AD forum on the decline of the Dandy. Real hardcore readers professing they found nothing of interest in kids comics - old and new.

Much as some here may enjoy them, I think it's having to accept that it's a peculiarity, not something the rest of the adult public would enjoy if only they would try it.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

starscape wrote:I really don't know that there could ever be a big demand from adults. I'm obviously a comic reader myself but I really struggle to enjoy kids humour comics from the past or present. It really is just too childish for me. And if it is for me, then I can't see the non-comic buying public enjoying them...even if it was to return to the Sixties/Seventies humour.

Viz I find hilarious. Then again, it is an adult comic. Enjoying Viz doesn't mean enjoying the Beano. I can remember the 2000AD forum on the decline of the Dandy. Real hardcore readers professing they found nothing of interest in kids comics - old and new.

Much as some here may enjoy them, I think it's having to accept that it's a peculiarity, not something the rest of the adult public would enjoy if only they would try it.
While that's true to a great extent, traditionally, there has always been an adult contingent of comic readers - I think it's worth including them in the target audience.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

starscape wrote: Viz I find hilarious. Then again, it is an adult comic. Enjoying Viz doesn't mean enjoying the Beano. I can remember the 2000AD forum on the decline of the Dandy. Real hardcore readers professing they found nothing of interest in kids comics - old and new.
Well yeah, but these are hardcore 2000AD readers. If Teacher doesn't turn into a disgusting tentacled creature and kill the Bash St kids one by one as they try to escape the school, while Minnie performs occult rituals in a chalked pentagram on the junction of several leylines (invented in the ancient decade of the 1920's) and Dennis turns into a cannibal serial killer and eats Walter, who then becomes a ghost and possesses Gnasher, all in a parable of how the 1% are distracting us from their plan for a New World Order by planning wars at the Bildeburg Group, they won't want to know.

I re-read and binned a huge number of 2000AD's recently, wondering what on earth possessed me!

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

felneymike wrote:
starscape wrote: Viz I find hilarious. Then again, it is an adult comic. Enjoying Viz doesn't mean enjoying the Beano. I can remember the 2000AD forum on the decline of the Dandy. Real hardcore readers professing they found nothing of interest in kids comics - old and new.
Well yeah, but these are hardcore 2000AD readers. If Teacher doesn't turn into a disgusting tentacled creature and kill the Bash St kids one by one as they try to escape the school, while Minnie performs occult rituals in a chalked pentagram on the junction of several leylines (invented in the ancient decade of the 1920's) and Dennis turns into a cannibal serial killer and eats Walter, who then becomes a ghost and possesses Gnasher, all in a parable of how the 1% are distracting us from their plan for a New World Order by planning wars at the Bildeburg Group, they won't want to know.

I re-read and binned a huge number of 2000AD's recently, wondering what on earth possessed me!
Should've sold them. Might've made a few bob.

Hard Truths

Post by Hard Truths »

Yeah, it's just for kids.