Beano Sales

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

BeanoKev70

Beano Sales

Post by BeanoKev70 »

Some good news of sorts, my local Asda which hasn't sold The Beano for the last 2 months suddenly had a large display last week with about 30 copies of the weekly & 20 Dennis the Menace megazines. Went in today & only 2 copies of weekly & 5 of Dennis, Hope they continue with these stand alone stands seems to work as there normal displays are a mess...good sales for a week.... :)

Peter Gray

Re: Beano Sales

Post by Peter Gray »

Its such good news you said it twice... :wink: :)

BeanoKev70

Post by BeanoKev70 »

Don't know what happened there!!!, I was in shock but so pleased it stood out & has obviously attracted the kids/parents, like I said hope it remains.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I'm afraid I have the opposite to report about my local WHSmith, which still had ten Beanos (the display rack was full!) and four D&G Megazines 12 hours ago. Those weeklies are going back to DCT I reckon, and the Megazines may be going back as well - the recall date didn't match the advertised next issue date, and subscription copies have already gone through letterboxes, so I'm not sure if the new Megazine is out today or next week.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

BeanoKev70 wrote:Some good news of sorts, my local Asda which hasn't sold The Beano for the last 2 months suddenly had a large display last week with about 30 copies of the weekly & 20 Dennis the Menace megazines. Went in today & only 2 copies of weekly & 5 of Dennis, Hope they continue with these stand alone stands seems to work as there normal displays are a mess...good sales for a week.... :)

Perhaps it's time DCT negotiated their own shelf space for only their publications? In short, a DC Thomson section.

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Good to see Beano sales are a reasonably healthy 34,836 according to the website's media-pack/summer 2013 figures: http://www.beano.com/media/1335314/bean ... b%2014.pdf

Would be useful for the website to have more traffic though, for advertising. Also nice to see so many good subscription offers.

It is a shame that so many (though not all) supermarkets, newsagents do put the issues at adult eye-level though. When no-ones looking I alway's put half the issues at my local with Dr Who Adventures and Horrible Histories.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Muffy wrote:
It is a shame that so many (though not all) supermarkets, newsagents do put the issues at adult eye-level though. When no-ones looking I alway's put half the issues at my local with Dr Who Adventures and Horrible Histories.
Yes, I find it too much of a coincidence that the comics with the better sales figures were the ones that are more often at eye level for children. For a long time, my local Smiths decided to display all the children's titles in alphabetical order, as though the staff had OCD or something. This meant that The Beano and Dandy were always on the top of a 6ft high shelf, but Toxic and Simpsons were much lower, at children's eye level (and, more importantly, within their reach). Guess which ones sold better.

Recently, they started stacking the Commando comics behind another title, so it was completely obscured. Every time I'd go in I'd move them to the front, but they'd be hidden again the next day. No wonder Commando now has those A4 cards taped to each issue for better visibility.

Still, at least they were on the shelves. The Blackpool branch of Smiths decided to put all the Panini, Titan, and Commando comics behind the counter because they told me kids were stealing them. (I don't know if this policy remains, but it was the case in the summer of 2012.)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, Tesco at Hull's St Stephens shopping centre has the Beano and the Dennis Megazine on the top shelf too. Not where kids can reach them. :(

Hard Truths

Post by Hard Truths »

That's great news. I imagine the Beano will live on for a while yet!

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Oh dear... At the weekend in the UK's largest supermarket, the Beano and the Dennis the Menace and Gnasher's 'Epic' Megazine was put on the top shelf in front of all the Beano's.

Popped in today and although the Beano was back on the top shelf, at least loads of Dennis the Menace and Gnasher's comics had only a few left, though I hope Beano sales are not affected.

I tried a Toxic with the 8 year old (almost 9) nephew, and after the initial enthusiasm for the gift waned, he interestingly preferred the 75 year-old comic as it had more humour story's.
Last edited by Muffy on 06 Apr 2014, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Interesting to hear my 8-year old nephews views on the Beano yesterday. Which I think will be positive for Beano sales in the next few years.
A 10-year old nephew who used to occasionally read the Dandy (still gets the annual), now occasionally get Match of the Day magazine. My other nephew and niece are ambivalent. Some of their friends read Toxic, though they were not that interested in the issue I bought them to try.

He was positive about all the stories and excited about having it delivered (usually on Saturday as he now has a regular subscription). He loved the letters about big Beano collections and hopes to have one himself one day.
I gave him an old 1979 Beano, but he was dismissive about that and only interested in new Beano (+Annuals). Not sure why that was, maybe 35-years is a long time to the new wave of readers.

He enjoyed all the stories and enthusiastically showed me some of his favourites from past and present issues, and gave these rankings out of 10 for some stories:
The Nibblers (which he loves) - 11 out of 10.
Dennis - 10 out of 10.
Rasher - 8 out of 10.
Billy Whizz - 9 out of 10.
Wallace and Gromit - 8 out of 10.
Tricky Dicky - 10 out of 10.
Bash Street Kids - 12 out of 10.
Bannaman (he was very enthusiastic about this!) - 12 out of 10.

So nice to see the next generation of comic collector.
Last edited by Muffy on 09 Apr 2014, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Did he not like the fact that the 1979 one wasn't full colour like the modern ones?

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

One of the things I particularly like about DC Thomson are their discounted subscription rates - I think this will help the sales of Beano and their other titles.

For my Beano-mad nephew [who was not impressed with the 1979 Dandy for reasons unknown], I'm now ordering him Beano on a 26-week subscription basis.

The older one who enjoyed irregular issues of the Dandy, opted for a Match of the Day magazine subscription - which does have a little comic strip material.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Found this link on Facebook: http://www.dcthomson.co.uk/media/the-be ... les-uplift

Beano Sees Significant Sales Uplift. That's good. Shame the link seems to be dead. I wonder why they took that article down?

BillyWhizzer

Post by BillyWhizzer »

I'm not sure how the Beano is selling in Leicester. One shop didn't have any at all, Co-Op had one copy delivered in and that was sold when I went to look for it.

Tesco had The Beano on the top shelf away from all the other kids comics. And there was only 2 copies of last weeks Beano in asda.