Laura Howell deserves more pages

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Laura Howell deserves more pages

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm not so keen on Meebo and Zuky But I do feel she should be given more pages at DC Thomson.

Her work is very appealing and I loved in the past Johnny Bean for the many zany characters
and Beano Manga for its beautiful colouring..

She could also fit very well in the new Dandy..

Tin Can Tommy

Re: Laura Howell deserves more pages

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I am surprised she doesnt do anything in the Dandy. She has done some Dandy annual work though. She did the Bully beef and chips in last year's annual.

According to her site she does some stuff for Toxic and small press stuff.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:I am surprised she doesnt do anything in the Dandy.
She does Not So Wise Owl, one of the current mini-strips. That's it though.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Maybe a mini strip in The Dandy could be a start who knows. A return of Bully Beef and Chips in the Dandy would be great.

As for in The Beano I would love to see a return for Johnny Bean I used to enjoy that strip.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Gilly wrote:As for in The Beano I would love to see a return for Johnny Bean I used to enjoy that strip.
http://beanoforum.freeforums.org/it-s-u ... k-t52.html

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

Thanks for the kind words everyone:)

I'd love to draw more Johnny Bean myself, but I'm afraid he's probably gone for good (likewise Beano Manga). There are however a couple of unpublished stories of each of those strips that I could put up on my website for you to look at - they won't be lettered but you'll probably be able to guess what's going on!

I'm sorry to hear you're not so keen on Meebo & Zuky Peter, because that's my focus right now - I don't know if anyone's noticed, but they are also appearing in BeanoMAX in a two-page "History of Violence" feature. This will also be in the 2013 annual.

I would love to have more work appearing in the Dandy and other comics, but unfortunately some personal issues mean my schedule is very disrupted at the moment and I've no time for pitching new strips. Just so you know, you may also see Meebo & Zuky ghosted occasionally in the near future for the same reason.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

LauraH wrote:I'd love to draw more Johnny Bean myself, but I'm afraid he's probably gone for good (likewise Beano Manga). There are however a couple of unpublished stories of each of those strips that I could put up on my website for you to look at - they won't be lettered but you'll probably be able to guess what's going on!
Yes please! :D

In the case of Beano Manga, I often thought it would read much better as a silent or near-silent strip - the added lettering just detracted from the visual humour. It's not the only time I've thought a comic was over-scripted, either - I recently discovered some unlettered Korky the Cat strips on Dave Windett's site, and was struck by how little they gained from the addition of a large number of speech balloons.

Here's an excellent example of a Meebo and Zuky which is improved by the removal of all the extraneous speech.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

LauraH wrote:Just so you know, you may also see Meebo & Zuky ghosted occasionally in the near future for the same reason.
That's ironic, considering you yourself have ghosted for Ken Harrison on Minnie the Minx sometimes.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Number 13, Keyhole Kate and more of your Bully Beef and Chips in the 2013 annuals.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I would love to have more work appearing in the Dandy and other comics, but unfortunately some personal issues mean my schedule is very disrupted at the moment and I've no time for pitching new strips. Just so you know, you may also see Meebo & Zuky ghosted occasionally in the near future for the same reason.
I hope things work out for you and good support from your new husband..sorry things are not good..

I would also like to see the pages that didn't make it as well..

spoiler for new Dandy comic ahead....

Bully Beef and Chips are coming back to The Dandy But not by Laura..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

We really need a spoiler tag...

Wayne Thompson then? He was the most recent BB&C artist, during the Xtreme era.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Thats the one Digi.. :) hopefully new ones..

Been rereading not so wise owl they are very good..liked the cinema one with the mobile..

I like the different eras and settings of Meebo and Zuky just find the violence a bit too much..prefer tom and jerry to Itchy and Scratchy..

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I think Meebo & zuky is one of the best stories in the beano at the moment & love the violence It reminds me of a cross between between puss & boots & itchy & scratchy,i dont remember puss & boots been that violent but could be wrong as i only have a few sparkys. I hated johnny bean & always thought it was one of the worst ever stories to grace the pages of beano.I wouldnt mind seeing beano manga back either.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I hope Laura has got some Beano pages coming up...Tricky Dicky had only just started..
Really hope this isn't the end of seeing her work in The Beano?

Also Steve Bright should come back...;0)

Lew Stringer deserves to have a whole page
and make it a continuing story if this is the new direction for longer stories at the Beano..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, Lew was talking about that on his blog last week. How Combat Colin was able to do serialised stories, but that's rarely allowed these days.
http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.co.uk ... art-1.html

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Yeah, Lew was talking about that on his blog last week. How Combat Colin was able to do serialised stories, but that's rarely allowed these days.
http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.co.uk ... art-1.html
It's not so much a case of whether it's allowed, more of if serials are appropriate for the comic. Combat Colin was in an adventure comic, so the readership was accustomed to serials anyway.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/