'The Pimple'

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: 'The Pimple'

Post by felneymike »

I have a bound volume of Blighty from about 1957, which was probably the Nuts or Zoo of it's day, but it's surprising how varied the content is, there's funny cartoons anybody could get, sexist cartoons for men, "marital sniping" cartoons where the man is always put down (like Andy Capp), pinups for men, serialisations of romantic films for women, usually a "things to make and do" section which would probably have appealed to housewives or children, and so on...

Hmm, I also seem to recall being monumentally bored on a caravan holiday sometime in the 90's, and I was even reading mum's puzzle magazines for entertainment. There was usually a "spot the difference" picture which was also a gag cartoon. If I ever have children they'll always have access to pens and paper!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Lots of women's magazines had sections for the kids in the 30s and 40s but I don't know if it continued into the sixties - I posted some examples on this site a while back but cannot remember what the subject was. One had a four page Playbox pullout.

Just had a search and it was under Mabel F Taylor in the artists and writers section.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

philcom55 wrote:...Come to think of it 'The Pimple' wouldn't have been a bad title for Viz - especially as one of it's many inferior competitors chose to call itself Zit. :)

- Phil R.
And then there was the "Viz for teenagers" - Acne!
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s