Halloween Beano 1967

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Halloween Beano 1967

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Ah, okay then. So the "other" day you're talking about would be the 29th? We did get a lot of ne'er do-wells coming into the shop trying to buy eggs and flour on the 29th, with the classic excuse of "I'm making cakes!".
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Ah, okay then. So the "other" day you're talking about would be the 29th?
No, what I'm trying to say is that when I was a lad a gang of us always used to go round our area of Lancaster creating mischief, nothing malicious like nowadays, just ringing people's bells and running away, or, when we felt a bit more adventurous, tieing the front door knob of one house to the one on their next door neighbour's house, then ringing the bells on both houses at the same time, and rushing off to hide in a garden on the other side of the road to watch them both trying to open their doors. That was Mischief Night, which was November 4th, and as far as I'm aware there was no Halloween, certainly not one that I got involved in. That was the other day I was referring to when I asked where it had come from.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Aha, now we're making sense - when I was growing up, Hallowe'en was Hallowe'en (which meant monsters and ghosts everywhere), and 4th Novemeber was nothing, just the day before Bonfire Night.

I'd never heard of Mischief Night until one year when people in school were talking about it, and I didn't know that it USED to be on 4th November (and still is in some places, apparently), until looking it up on Wikipedia a couple of days ago.

Every day's a new education.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s