The return of The Yeti

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

The return of The Yeti

Post by Digifiend »

New half-pager in this week's Beano. Betty and The Yeti. It's a revival of a 1993 strip The Yeti With Betty (Wikipedia says the original run was January to November 1993, which would mean it was axed when the comic went full colour). The Yeti himself looks exactly the same as he did in Robert Nixon's version. Betty however looks completely different, with dark skin.

booksandcomics

Re: The return of The Yeti

Post by booksandcomics »

Wasn't there a Yeti that merged with the Dandy in the 1980s? Either from Nutty or Hoot....oh wait, just come to me, I might be thinking of the Polar Bear, Polar Blair?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Indeed - Polar Blair was also by Bob Nixon. I think it was in Hoot.

The new version of Yeti is by Steve Beckett.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Blair was in Hoot - but also the Dandy thanks to their merger.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Digifiend wrote:New half-pager in this week's Beano. Betty and The Yeti. It's a revival of a 1993 strip The Yeti With Betty (Wikipedia says the original run was January to November 1993, which would mean it was axed when the comic went full colour). The Yeti himself looks exactly the same as he did in Robert Nixon's version. Betty however looks completely different, with dark skin.
According to History of the Beano, The Yeti's first run ended in issue 2698 (2/4/1994). Not sure if I have that issue kicking around, but I'll try and look into it. Also, the Beano went full colour in October, not November.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

blaing

Post by blaing »

Digifiend has already made the changes to the Wikipedia entry when I used the same info from the History of the Beano in my post on my own blog.

http://comicsblog.brucelaing.id.au/yetibetty/