Stolen volumes

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Stolen volumes

Post by stevezodiac »

I came across my copy of British Comic World 5 from June 1987 yesterday and saw this item. I was wondering if the volumes had come to light in the intervening thirty years.
Attachments
beano volumes.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Stolen volumes

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I came across my copy of British Comic World 5 from June 1987 yesterday and saw this item. I was wondering if the volumes had come to light in the intervening thirty years.
Your original post on this matter, Steve, was on April 2nd 2013, almost exactly four years ago. Presumably, if the volumes haven't so far been returned, such an outcome would seem unlikely before the death of the thief, and possibly not even then, although at that point hopefully it might occur to a surviving family member to put them up for sale on eBay.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I had a feeling the subject had been discussed here before but couldn't think of a unique word to conduct the search. Very sad that these volumes are still missing.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

More pilfered comics from the british library as this news item from 2001 shows
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1154902.stm

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I only visited the Colindale once. During that visit to London I stayed with my son Andrew, who had a flat in one of the blocks in New Providence Wharf, which is only spitting distance from Canary Wharf. I can't remember what year it was but the British Library was still at the back of the British Museum. While he was at work I trawled through all the secondhand bookshops in Charing Cross Road, and I did most of the general shopping for him in Poplar. Later I cooked our evening meal unless we had agreed to eat in the Italian place near the bottom of his road, and afterwards we went on to a pub on the river bank, usually sitting outside. I did harbour hopes of seeing Mole and Rat but they must have been busy elsewhere. At the time I was doing research into an Amalgamated Press text story paper for girls from the 1920s called The Ruby. It only had a short run of just twenty issues, after which it was incorporated into Schoolgirls' Weekly, but I was interested in reading it because it was a contemporary of The Blue Bird, Thomsons' only text story equivalent. Somewhere I will still have the notes I wrote that day. I doubt whether I will need to access it again but if I do it will probably have to be brought over from the British Library's storage facility in Boston Spa so they will need three days notice from me, which should give me ample time to save up for my return train fare.