A story idea for The Beano.......have you got one...

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I think Jamie Oliver should meet Olive from The Bash Street kids would be funny.....

kevf

Post by kevf »

Check out Parents Evening in this year's Beano annual, and you'll see Olive making what passes in my feeble mind for a Jamie Oliver gag. I have a notion he's appeared in Davy Sutherland's weekly strip.

If anyone out there has ideas you'd like to see turned into Bash St Kids adventures, try me. You won't get paid or credited, but I'm more than happy to be inspired / challenged / rip you off mercilessly.

I do a lot of parodies for that very reason, that you need to start somewhere. I envy Mike Pearse's ability to keep stories simple and grounded in reality. Mine have tended to get a bit fanciful and silly lately (I'm currently doing my second "dead" Beano character returning in a haunted castle story (last time it was Lord Snooty, this time it's half a dozen old characters), which suggest a lack of inspiration. I'm loving it, by the way, but the stories come out the way they come out sometime.

My next story is a quasi parody too. Maybe I should challenge myself to something really mundane. After all my favourite strips to read are often mundane, eg Doonesbury and The Spirit.

I'd love to write a really good Billy Whizz or Little Plum story, I think they're crying out for a bit of development.

Blah blah, that's me.
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've thought of a fun idea....

Bring back the forgotten bash street kid Teddy....(Teddy boy)

Have a 60's theme story... :D

Lew Stringer

Re: A story idea for The Beano.......have you got one...

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:I've thought of a fun idea....

Bring back the forgotten bash street kid Teddy....(Teddy boy)
I've heard about that character. Did he appear in the strip for long?

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Corporal Clott

Post by Corporal Clott »

If I can recall that far back, Teddy Boys appeared in the early 1950's. By the 60's they'd died out, apart from a few nutters who just couldn't bear to part with their drainpipe trousers and brothel creepers. In fact, I have a dim memory of seeing Teddy in the Beano. I imagine DCT would have dropped the character once he became dated.

Cap Haggis

Post by Cap Haggis »

Teddy Boy appeared in a page of the Best of Beano/Dandy annual that focused on the 1960s - it had a large Leo Baxendale splash page with the character with the regular BSKs - I think he was pretty much a background regular in the early years and didn't last to long as Corp Clott suggests, eoither that or it was borstal for the wee blighter
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

Corporal Clott

Post by Corporal Clott »

Belay there, Captain! It was the real Teddy Boys that didn't last until the 60's. If I recall they were sent packing by the Mods and the Rockers. But what does it matter? What about the spivs? Did any of these unsavoury characters ever grace the pages of our comics? The nearest I can get is a Dennis the Menace page from a 1953 Beano featuring some local toughs. It also features a couple of soldiers manning what looks like a WW2 aircraft listening device. I can just visualise some KGB spy sending a copy to his controllers.

David

Re: A story idea for The Beano.......have you got one...

Post by David »

Peter Gray wrote:A story idea for The Beano.......have you got one...

I think Jamie Oliver should meet Olive from The Bash Street kids would be funny.....
I think Calamity James could have a lucky day, just once.
Though I am doing that in an online animated cartoon with Unlucky Ducky.
Or Dennis getting the shock of his life when Softy Walter out-menaces him!
Or how about this, lol, Cuthbert Cringeworthy finds out his real dad is Teacher (The Bash Street Kids), I mean it's obvious isn't it? :twisted: