Characters I like to see from the past in the new Beano

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I think Spoofer would be a good character to bring back....the interaction with the reader..suggesting ideas was a great concept...

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Spoofer being Spoofer McGraw, a very gullible character that would believe anything that anyone told him. I would have sworn that Spoofer was a Sparky character but that's me. Loved the artwork on the strip as I always found it to be a very under-stated style and it helped to make the strip more punchy.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Re: Characters I like to see from the past in the new Beano

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:Spoofer being Spoofer McGraw, a very gullible character that would believe anything that anyone told him. I would have sworn that Spoofer was a Sparky character but that's me.

Spoofer was a Sparky character (started in 1969) and it was he who told the tales to his gullible mate, Bo.

Lew

Raven

Re: Characters I like to see from the past in the new Beano

Post by Raven »

colcool007 wrote:I would have sworn that Spoofer was a Sparky character but that's me.
Ah, but he's still from the past!

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

There was another character, either in Buster or Valiant who told tall tales. He was an adult in a check suit. I can't remember any other details except that he was always bragging and got his come-uppance in the last frame of a half page feature. Any idea of his name has been tucked away in a forgotten synapse somewhere.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

This character had various names and various incarnations but the one that springs to mind is Gabby McGlew with the by-line 'his yarns aren't true'. He was drawn for the most part by Angel Nadal.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Just checked and Gabby McGlew was a reprint of 'Blarney Bluffer - he's Britain's biggest bragger' from Knockout, where his strip ran from 23/7/60 'til the comics final issue in Feb 1963.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I remember reading some spoofer strips in Classics when i used to get it (when it first started... i might even have issue 1 knocking around somewhere at home, better keep hold of that...). I remember one about why the "daddy long legs" has long legs, it's because thier sticky feet means they can't take off easily, so every time they do thier legs get stretched a bit, until they are old and thier legs are very long. Why explains why you never see a "kiddy long legs" XD

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Speaking of 'tall-tale tellers', an early example of this as a strip premise was the Beano's 'Uncle Windbag' in the 1950's. This was one of the first things drawn by long-time Thomson artist Bill Ritchie.