Dinah Mite by Leo Baxendale.

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Dinah Mite by Leo Baxendale.

Post by Peter Gray »

This character is in the Dandy Annual 1957 did Leo also draw this in the comic. Comic fans don't seem to remember this character so must have not run for long as a guess.
Theres a great 3 parter in the annual with 2 pages showing Dinah mite messing up the dodgems in a big way....great stuff..

Imagefrom annual

:offtopic1: who drew Big Beardie an unusual style also from 1957 annual.

stevezodiac

Re: Dinah Mite by Leo Baxendale.

Post by stevezodiac »

I remember there was a Dinah Mite in both DC Thomson and Fleetway comics, i think the Fleetway version later became Dinah Mo. Drawn by Reg Parlett if i remember correctly. Doesn't answer your question but i just wanted to show off. (Someone will now deflate my ego with a correction).

Raven

Post by Raven »

stevezodiac wrote:I remember there was a Dinah Mite in both DC Thomson and Fleetway comics, i think the Fleetway version later became Dinah Mo. Drawn by Reg Parlett if i remember correctly. Doesn't answer your question but i just wanted to show off. (Someone will now deflate my ego with a correction).

Dinah Mo was in Dandy!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Leo Baxendale only drew Dinah Mite in that one annual, never for the Dandy comic. Let's just say that Leo and Albert Barnes, the Dandy editor, weren't a marriage made in heaven even if Leo hadn't been fully extended by his work for Beano and Beezer in any case.
Reg Parlett's Dinah Mite arrived in the pages of Buster when it changed from tabloid to 'regular' format in Oct 1965 and I always remember she had the by-line 'She's Dainty Ain't She!' Can't remember offhand how long Dinah Mite ran for in Buster but it may well have been up to when Reg began drawing 'Rentaghost' in 1969. I'll check on that. The strip was also reprinted later in another comic under another title but what the comic and the alternative title were I can't recall from memory.
As Raven points out Dinah Mo was a Dandy strip drawn by Ron Spencer in the 1970's.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Thanks Kashgar.....interesting the note about Albert Barnes...ooooh!

Did Leo Baxendale do any one offs for Topper?

Dinah mite by Reg Parlett was repeated in Funny Fortnightly. Late 80's..early 90's.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Dinah Mite also featured in the Dandy - it was short-lived, I think, but certainly made it into the Dandy Book 1971. I think artwork was by Ron Spencer, but couldn't be quite sure. I remember that this Dinah was a tomboy, not particularly extreme, but with the imagination to ensure that she and her (male) friends always won their battles.

Dinah Mo was 1980s I think, definitely by Ron Spencer, and was the wild child we all knew and loved.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I distinctly remember a full-colour 'DINAH MITE' strip by RON SPENCER in a very early 'DANDY' SUMMER SPECIAL'.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Sorry guys. As usual working from memory is not the most realiable method of relaying information.
Having checked here are the full Dandy 'Dinah Mite' details. Ron Spencer drew a character named Dinah Mite in the Dandy 1503-1539 (1970-1971) and this character also featured in the Dandy Books for 1970-1972 and the Summer Specials for 1969 and 1970. His character Dinah Mo debuted in Dandy in 1983.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Oh and Buster's version of Dinah Mite was reprinted in Whizzer & Chips in the early 1970's as 'Belle Tent'.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

From memory I said that Dinah Mite in Buster may have run until 1969, she didn't. She was one of the strips dropped in Jan 1968 to make way for the strips arriving in Buster following the merger with Giggle.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Back to the strip in question, it's cool... wish it had lasted longer, explosives/other methods of mass destruction like wrecking balls and rioting are always good for comedy, just watch The Young Ones and Bottom.

I'm sure Dinah MO was around before the 1980's, i think i once had a 70's Dandy annual with her in but who knows what happened to it... I think the Dandy's first 21st century re-launch (the one before Extreme) had a new version of Dinah Mo with a slightly different outfit and hair (the old one had braided pigtails, not something you see today). I beleive she even had her own annual for a short period in the 70's or 80's too...

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

You're thinking of Beryl the Peril.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

D'oh! Yes, i am...