The dandy monster comic 1939

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

dandy mad

The dandy monster comic 1939

Post by dandy mad »

I know its a tall order but dose anybody know were i can get a replacement spine for my dandy book 1 i bought it many years ago and unfortunatly it dosnt have a spine so any info will be a great help cheers mike michaeldawson749@yahoo.co.uk

dandy mad

Re: The dandy monster comic 1939

Post by dandy mad »

Its the real thing my dad bought it me back in 1991 for my 14th birthday he only paid £50 for it a bargain even at that time i would like a spine for it but dont know were to even look for one as they are that rare will it be worth my while contacting thomsons for a facsimile spine? Or will they not be able to help

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Imagemaybe you can print it out.stick on cardboard...

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I'd suggest that putting a spine on may actually reduce its value, but I could be wrong about that. Certainly the one above wouldn't work, as it's the facsimile version.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

------yes, but can you not 'laminate' the above image? [it seems to be actual size.....you can seal any image in transparent plastic, as far as I'm aware......]

It may be the only way you can approach the look of the original......it would be 'fake', obviously, but if there's one thing I can't stand, it's annuals [or politicians] without spines .
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 24 Jun 2008, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:------yes, but you not 'laminate' the above image? [it seems to be actual size.....you can seal any image in transparent plastic, as far as I'm aware......]
It's not an accurate reproduction of the original though is it?

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

If we are talking about the spine from the facsimile edition it certainly isn't an exact reproduction. Given that the dimensions of the facsimile are different i.e. it's not as thick due to the thinner paper stock used, it couldn't be.
Best bet might be to get in contact with the syndication dept at Thomsons who now do a nice side-line in providing photocopies for collectors, for a fee of course, and see if they can supply you with a colour photocopy of the original spine. Personally though I wouldn't even think of trying to 'stick' a photocopy onto the spine of such a rare annual unless you've got access to a professional bookbinder and then the cost of adhering the photocopy to the spine would cost you more than the bargain price your Dad paid for it. So, for choice, I think I'd ask Thomsons to provide you with a colour copy of the spine and then do photocopies of the front and back covers of the book yourself and use all three, reproduced onto one sheet of quality paper, to produce a dustjacket to cover the whole annual. It might not be ideal but it wouldn't cost you the Earth either.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

thanks for the info kashgar ill get in contact with thomsons and see if thomsons will make up a spine for me a dustjacket will look good and no devalueing the book at the same time,cheers mike

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

:lol: Theres a dandy monster comic 39 on sale now on ebay and this annual has a photo copied spine and has a starting bid of £1,499.99p! Its on sale untill 30/06/08 i dont think it will get many bidders at that price

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

you could probably buy a decent house for that in 1939.............[mind you, there was a potential new 'landlord' looming]........

dennis the menace

Post by dennis the menace »

i think that this maybe the awnser this guy own beano number 2 and dandy number one. so have a read of this http://www.geocities.com/christwamley58 ... ation.html

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

That dandy monster comic 1939 didnt sell i was surprised it didnt attract 1 single bid a few years back it would have been sold for quite a tidy sum photocopied spine and all