New Dandy Logo in 1960

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

rossmac

New Dandy Logo in 1960

Post by rossmac »

Does ayone know why, in 1960, when the Dandy first changed it's logo, they went for a blue 'Dandy' on red backdrop for only about 6 issues before changing the colour scheme to the more familiar red 'Dandy' on light blue backdrop? Seems odd to change the heading again 6 weeks later, even if it were ony a colour change. Was it being confused with the red of the Beano, or had that changed by then?

Always puzzled me this has, and I've love to get a copy of one of these as it's the only style of cover I don't have a copy of!
Dandy0991new.JPG
Dandy0992-new cover(new).JPG

booksandcomics

Re: New Dandy Logo in 1960

Post by booksandcomics »

Do you have a spare copy of the first Dandy new logo one? I actually have the free thunderbang gift but not the comic!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Since the thread has been bumped, here it is in a larger size.

The Beano changed logo at around the same time.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

A similar thing happened with Terrific - it ran for 43 issues and 42 of them had the yellow writing on red background but issue 33 had red writing on yellow background. Odd. I wonder if the colour scheme was misread at the printers?

I'm afraid it was me that taped the spine - around 1971. Did it a lot - now regret it.

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

booksandcomics wrote:Do you have a spare copy of the first Dandy new logo one? I actually have the free thunderbang gift but not the comic!
Sadly, no I have never got my hands on one of these issues, let alone have a spare!

Ross

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

stevezodiac wrote:A similar thing happened with Terrific - it ran for 43 issues and 42 of them had the yellow writing on red background but issue 33 had red writing on yellow background. Odd. I wonder if the colour scheme was misread at the printers?
There was also a Beano in the 40s with the logo miscoloured in the Dandy colour scheme (blue background red text instead of red background yellow text), also only for one issue. It appears in one of the Classic Beano/Dandy books.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Why is the samples of terrific claiming to be the best of british comics when its clearly reprinting the avengers an american comic. I have never read or seen an issue of the comic though.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

booksandcomics wrote:Do you have a spare copy of the first Dandy new logo one? I actually have the free thunderbang gift but not the comic!
Surprisingly, the first issue of Dandy with the new price and logo (no.986) didn't contain any free gifts - though they were promised in the near future and eventually turned up a month later in no's 990 (Dandy Whirlybird) and 991 (Dandy Thunderbang). Nevertheless it's clear that DC Thomson considered the addition of four new pages and extra colour to be one of the most important events since the appearance of Dandy no.1 in 1937.

Here is a comparison of the actual mastheads from no's 985 and 986 - the issues which straddled the 'great leap forward' - followed by a selection of internal adverts from no's 984 - 987, which give some indication of the continuing air of excitement that was being generated around the new look.

No.984 - two weeks to go!

No.985 - one week to go!!

No. 986 - It's here!!! (but don't forget the free gifts to come...)

No.987 - The gifts begin...starting with the Beano!

- But remember to keep buying the Dandy as well!!

...I don't know why but nobody could do house ads quite like DC Thomson! :)

Incidentally, while I agree with the recent poster who suggested that it's probably arbitrary and unfair to choose a cut-off point of 1970 for the end of Dandy & Beano's golden age, I can't help feeling that the format change of October 1960 makes for a pretty good starting point at least!

- Phil Rushton

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Korky doing a Gus the Gorilla impression before Gus ever appeared, lol. I wonder if the Cor!! logo designer saw that advert?

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

After 23 years of The Dandys masthead being relatively unchanged apart from the dropping of the word "comic" and repositioning of the date and issue number from the top right hand corner to the bottom of the masthead was a much needed update in 1960 as the Beano had quite a few different title changes by that time plus I think the bell boy was out of fashion in the early fifties or even earlier!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Beano may have changed it's masthead a few times, but the basic logo only changed at the same time as Dandy's - and there's only been three drastically different logos in it's entire history - all three have had curved and arched versions, and the first one had several different colour schemes. You can see them all on Logopedia, I made the pages a few days ago.
http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/The_Beano
http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dandy

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

This version is better than the maroon one mainly because it's in Dandy colours :wink:
358382441.514262.jpg

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

One of the `Blue` Dandy issues came on E.bay last year, I put a bid in but got beat! I think `Mon-Ell` got it!
A Face unclouded by thought.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Just wait until the clock ticks to 3 seconds remaining (have the amount you want to bid already in the box) click bid job done :wink:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

dandy mad wrote:Just wait until the clock ticks to 3 seconds remaining (have the amount you want to bid already in the box) click bid job done :wink:
It don't work if your internet slow though :lol: but i aint bought anything from ebay in months as i always get outbid at the last second :(