Has Desperate Dan ever showed an interest in women?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Has Desperate Dan ever showed an interest in women?

Post by stevezodiac »

Never mind the Walter debate, he's just a kid. What about DD? I have never seen him with a girl/woman. I know he's only a drawing but so is Peter Parker. How about Ding Dong Belle?

nottinghamian

Re: Has Desperate Dan ever showed an interest in women?

Post by nottinghamian »

I vaguely remember him living with an old woman - perhaps his mother. And he might have had a sister who looked very like him. That's the only female interest I can remember him having.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

you must surely mean AUNT AGGIE, who, with her somewhat VICTORIAN set of values----even in the WILD WEST------- definately would NOT have allowed DAN to take home, and entertain a young lady overnight, for off-frame 'cavortings' in his famous, austere bedroom out of her puritanical eye......

-----however, I seem to remember an attractive young INDIAN SQUAW character from the early 90s, who old DAN appeared love-struck [at times ]on.....

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

Little Bear was around in early 2000s, and briefly reappeared in 2006.
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Is this lack of crumpet why he's called "desperate"?

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I think living with his aunt aggie put him off so i think he will stay desperate for ever

SID

Post by SID »

I quite liked Little Bear.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

ajsmith

Post by ajsmith »

there was a long multi-part story arc about Dan pursuing a Dan-chinned blonde beauty cica 1992.

microwave

Post by microwave »

Dan has a girlfreind, an ordinary blonde, In Dandy 158. Dec 7. 1940. The only time she`s made an appearance as far as I know, having large gaps in my collection.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

SID wrote:I quite liked Little Bear.
Cor, so did I.
Well, you would, wouldn't you?

RamblingSid

Post by RamblingSid »

tony ingram wrote:
SID wrote:I quite liked Little Bear.
Cor, so did I.
Well, you would, wouldn't you?
My memory might be a bit addled but I have a vague recollection of a big wedding illustration with Dan and Little Bear getting married. It was a summer special or an annual.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yep, that was from Dandy Annual 2005. Aunt Aggie's fantasy sequence. Aggie got tired of running after Dan so...

"That does it! It's time you got yourself a wife! It's ages since we had a nice wedding in the family."

But then she realises that if Dan left home, she'd be bored, so as Dan and Little Bear are leaving for the pictures...

"You ain't going nowhere nephew. You're too young to be going out with girls..."
LB: "What did I do? I thought Aunt Aggie liked me?" Apparently not, for her only subsequent appearance that I've seen was in the 2006 annual.

SID

Post by SID »

Just come across this old thread. Reading the digital comic, I see that Dan's interest has gone onto actual bears. This is not right and all I can say is:

Mr Dandy Editor, bring back Little Bear!!! :soapbox:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

In the 1960s, there was considerable controversy after an extended Dan serial revealed that one of his relatives was actually a bear! The dyed-in-the-wool cynics had a field day with that one------- I do remember this tale, but as a kid I just thought the idea was funny.

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

I believe he had some sort of love interest which is in the Desperate Dan comic capers book.