I'm Bidding farewell to The Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Old Freddy

Re: I'm Bidding farewell to The Dandy

Post by Old Freddy »

I wouldn't mind a television series of Roger the Dodger or Baby Face Finlayson, who both had comic library episodes. Maybe even Little plum. I think the One-page trend for billy whizz is why he didn't have an episode to himself in the Beano Videostars, although most episodes are from the annuals anyway.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The first Beano Video is on Youtube (Under it's DVD name The Beano Allstars, I actually searched for Beano Videostars, and it yielded no results :() and I don't recognise the stories. Were these stories from the 1980s, even though the video dates from the mid-90s? I'd recognise any Beano story from after 1995, except for some of the Comic Libraries/Fun-Sizes.

Just reading the Youtube comments for Beano Allstars Part 1, most of it's talk about the US and UK Dennis the Menace's and the confusion between them, but there is some mention of it being nostalgic because the stories were familiar. The comment in question is on page 5 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnWQcuMiT0 The video will play automatically, so pause it if you want to read the comments without missing anything.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Digifiend wrote:The first Beano Video is on Youtube (Under it's DVD name The Beano Allstars, I actually searched for Beano Videostars, and it yielded no results :() and I don't recognise the stories. Were these stories from the 1980s, even though the video dates from the mid-90s? I'd recognise any Beano story from after 1995, except for some of the Comic Libraries/Fun-Sizes.

Just reading the Youtube comments for Beano Allstars Part 1, most of it's talk about the US and UK Dennis the Menace's and the confusion between them, but there is some mention of it being nostalgic because the stories were familiar. The comment in question is on page 5 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnWQcuMiT0 The video will play automatically, so pause it if you want to read the comments without missing anything.
Well the Beano Video was from 1993, Videostars from 1994. I can tell you some of the episodes' basises:

(in brackets, the initials for the character and video are displayed)

*Soap Box Cart (DTM BV) From beano book 1990
*Jelly Babies (MTM BVS) From beano book 1990
*Dennis Meets his match (DTM BVS) loosely based on the issue BEFORE the first all color beano
*In on the act (DTM BV) can't remember where, but definitely remember it
*Pink Glove (DTM BV) sometime in 1991
*On Safari (ITT BVS) Beano book 1994, even called On Safari in the Book.
*The new school (TBSK BVS) obviously based on The bask street kids 40th anniversairy special
*Minnie Clones (MTM BV) Beano book 1990
*Greedy Bears' Picnic (T3B BV) Beano book 1990; animation blanantly copied from the drawings in the book.
*The episode of the 3 bears in the Beano video where they have to look for food; From the Beano book 1990, but edited not to include Little Plum, (But tracelfoot still appears) Alexander Lemming, Sniffy the Bash Street Dog or The Editor.

There's bound to be others, but I don't really know to be honest. various strips don't really fit as an animated cartoon, for example both the Gnasher and gnipper episodes in the Beano video; seem very short and the first one (Hotdogs) seems strange because Gnasher and Gnipper "Scaring" the hot dogs out of their rolls doesn't really look right. In the Beano videostars the animation looks a lot more smooth and professional, and they seem to have hired artists more familiar with the characters, rather than people blatently copying other people's work (in the Beano video, The Bash Street Kids appears to be drawn in the Style of David Sutherland one minute, and Barrie Appleby the Other.)

Navigation altered

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Have since watched parts 2 and 3, and recognised only Soapbox Cart (I have that annual, didn't know it was on the video when I typed my earlier message), The Three Bears: Scorcher (this character was used in both the weekly and the annual), and the use of Treaclefoot - I did think with that one "Little Plum's missing here". Part 4 is not on Youtube, nor is any of Beano Videostars! :x Why upload a partial programme?

Kicking myself now. :headbash: Not exactly the sort of thing worth watching twice anyway, that's why I don't want to actually buy the discs! :twisted: But if Youtube doesn't have it... oh well. :(

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Well to be honest, outside a couple of fansites (and this forum) people tend to not care about Dc Thomson, as a matter of fact when I was scanning MerryMedia forums, I was surprised that the only beano-related things being said were things like:

"I used to get the beano and the dandy. I don't anymore. I used to also get the Whizzer and Chips. Haven't bought it for a while. Wonder if they're still being sold?"

On the half of the Beano video on youtube, usually a comment that isn't about the confusion between the two dennises, would be "I like the beano." as if that matters.

But I also found that The Bash Street Kids "Molar Mirth" from the Beano video is loosely based on a couple of Episodes from the 1950's and 1960's, one of which Shows that Teacher has Barely any teeth, and one of which where the Dentist/Professor's false teeth are exposed, both of which happen in the episode.

But, Why didn't they just rename it the Beano DVD? Come on, it can't be the beano all-stars because it isn't all the stars, is it? There's no roger the Dodger or Billy whizz or Little Plum, Just Dennis the Menace, Gnasher, Gnipper, The Bash Street Kids, Minnie the Minx, The 3 Bears and Short roles by Tracelfoot and Benjy from Ball Boy.

Navigation altered

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Benji? Why didn't they use BB himself instead? :?

Good point about The Beano Video's name. Should've just been The Beano DVD, you're right, Allstars makes it sound like a sequel to Videostars (which wasn't renamed) instead of the correct other way around. They didn't change the on screen name at all, which seems daft (it's no longer a video), it was only changed on the packaging, and I'd imagine, on the DVD menu.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Well, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be Benjy, but it looks Identical to him. The only Difference is that he's wearing normal clothes and not a football kit.

They ought to be making a newer Beano DVD. We haven't seen one for a while. The Beano interactive DVD doesn't really count since it's just an interactive comic strip, and because there's speech bubbles, nobody talks english, instead they prefer to say "memememememe" and things like that.

But we're straying off topic. I'll hurry along and make a new thread.

Navigation altered

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Then it probably isn't Benji. Generic background character?

Link to the thread you said you were starting: http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=2821