Weird Dream

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

SID

Weird Dream

Post by SID »

Just woke up from having this dream (and had to get it down before I forgot it).

In the dream, I hadn't bought the Dandy for yonks so I decided to get a copy and take it home.

On opening it, I found a number of changes.

Gone was the Xtreme, it was just the Dandy. The whole front cover was back to being a 'traditional looking comic' priced at £1.18. Oh yes, it was a weekly again.

Inside, it was crammed full of black and white strips mainly 1-pagers. I don't recall what they were though I think they featured original characters from the comic's history. However, I do remember a half-page black and white strip of Black Bob where Andrew Glenn is sitting in his armchair in his living room, next to a roaring fire - talking to Bob. The style was very much like Jack Prout's but you could tell it was a different artist trying to emulate him. I do remember I was disappointed it was only half a page and was hoping it would be more next week.

The back page featured Bully Beef (interestingly enough, no Chips) in colour. This story showed Beefy saying farewall to a group of old comic characters as he sends them back in time to their year of 1926. On their arrival (where the comic strip went from colour to black and white), they think they have gone to the wrong time as they see the sky full of strange flying machines. They then find out that it is just a fireworks display celebrating some occasion so they had got home after all.

The most significant change is that the Dandy was no longer being published by DC Thomson. Instead it was a company called Yorke Publishing which I never heard of before.

The last thing I remember before waking up is that I was wondering who Yorke were? When did they take over the comic? What a sad day for DC Thomson to give up their oldest running comic and that the new-look Dandy did look pretty good albeit it was mostly in back and white (but there were plenty of pages).

So that was my dream. Very, very sad eh? :wink:
Last edited by SID on 08 Feb 2014, 11:58, edited 3 times in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Weird Dream

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I too often get comic-reading related dreams, with vivid accounts of reading non-existant [but usually strange and vivid] comic variations. I used to get dreams in which I discovered stacks of vintage comics and annuals, and I was always disappointed when I woke up.....

About once a year or so, I experience a 'real' phenomenon where I 'realize I am dreaming, and once you are aware of this, you can make anything in your dream-world happen: fly like Superman, erotic fantasies, etc, etc.......oddly enough---and quite coincidentally, in view of this subject-------it happened last night, and in my subconcious world, I took to the skies like the man of Steel once again.........[shame it only seems to occur around once a year.]

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

I've had some odd Dreams. One was where Sweet-Tooth and 12 1/2 p Buytonic Boy were in the Dandy. Steve ford was defeating General Blight in the Comic, and it was drawn by John Geering.

Another strange dream was when I travelled back in time to 2000. I decided to go to a newsagents and buy a comic, and was baffled to see Desperate dan... IN THE BEANO!!!!

I also had a dream where a comic annual similar to the beano annual (had their own versions of the Bash Street Kids and Gnasher) was in my room. The cover was drawn by Mike Lacey, but the book was dated "1800!"
Last edited by Old Freddy on 07 Jul 2009, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

imagine if that one turned up on e-bay, Fred!

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Last night I had a dream that wasn't related to the dandy, but the dream was that I went to a car boot sale, and picked up a book called "Dirty great book of how to avoid shiners, by Shiner". I picked it up and started reading it, but sadly I can't remember any of it, apart from one page; "If you wear indestructable goggles, then it won't hurt when someone punches your eye!"

But a dream I had a few weeks ago was a dream about a new TV channel called "Dandy TV" which had TV shows for the dandy characters, and guess what? It was a bloomin' Jak marathon. It had adverts for the Marvo the Wonderchicken TV series, and the TV Series of Jak was wierd; Each voice didn't suit each character, and Todd had an american accent where everyone else had a british accent.

Navigation altered

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

What was weird about the voices, Freddy? Can't say I'd want to watch a Jak marathon either - and a lot of things would have to change before a Dandy TV channel could start! DCT have rarely been pacesetters in marketing areas, and the sales of The Dandy would have to improve to justify a whole channel. Still, it's a strange dream, and all the better (or worse!) for it, why should we apply rules grounded in realism to it!
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

It wasn't exactly 'wierd' but Jak had that horribly annoying voice that also voices the stupid thing on the aquafresh advert. You know what I mean, the "To the tubascope! It's time to see what you like about brushtime!" voice. then, in the next episode, he sounds noticably different, rather like how there are inconsistancies with the Bash Street kids' voices in the first beano video.

Todd's voice was also strange because he sounded like he was about 18. They're the only real voices I can remember, but I can remember after about 2 episodes, I turned over to go to Cartoon Network, and it was freakin' Ben 10. I went ot Nickelodeon and it was stupid Zoey 101. I felt that good things on TV had come to an end, then I was about to punch the TV but then I woke up.

Navigation altered

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

To sleep, perchance to dream - ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep what dreams may come
Black Bob chats with Andrew Glenn
The Bash Street Kids are upside down
Chips is back with fried fish eaten
Three Marys wearing asteroid belts
Desperate Dan served in a pie
Far too big for Jimmy's grockle
Mr Jinx has daytime mares
Common sense on this thread spotted
Erotic fantasies but once a year
The wife's headache night, that's for sure
Perhaps as well in any case
Invisible Dick being on the prowl
Sleep deprivation being normal
A consummation devoutly to be wish'd
This verse is blank but rhymes in dreams
With any luck I'll wake up soon.

(pace Shakespeare)

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I did have a really bizarre dream about a week ago where for some reason I saw some of Vic Neill's artwork (Tim Traveller I think) up on posters under a bridge in a town somewhere. Very strange.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I thought we'd put this dreams nonsense to bed.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Yes, but I forgot to mention that I was going to post about it on this forum before I realised that it wasn't real at all!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Jonny Whizz wrote:Yes, but I forgot to mention that I was going to post about it on this forum before I realised that it wasn't real at all!
I'm really not sure I've got my head round this. I've decided to sleep on it because they do say that dreams can help to resolve such things overnight. I'm not hopeful though. :D

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I dreamed i went to some quaint old town that looked like Bury St Edmonds recently (the town was actually Liverpool in the dream, but looked rather unlike the real thing), and found a book shop that had loads of half-years of The Boys' Friend from the 1910's for £18 each! I was verry annoyed when i woke up.

I also once dreamed about going into the local shop in the village and finding a 1992 issue of The Hotspur (in reality it merged into Victor in the late 80's and then that was cancelled in 1992) stuffed at the back of one of the shelves. Even though the shop has actually had it's entire insides rebuilt at least twice since 1992!

And just last night i dreamed of the return of Jonah! He was in his 90's Dandy incarnation (that had incredible artwork didn't it? The humour comics rarely seem to have that sort of pride-in-your-work look these days), and arrived in Britain's shores. Somebody asked him why he had been away so long to which he replied "Everything floating that i set foot on ends up at the bottom of the sea! I've had to swim all the way home!". Apparently this was an acceptable explanation as, of course, comic characters live forever so they can swim right across the oceans, the only reason they normally don't is it takes too long.
Then it was more of an old-style Beano Jonah strip, an American sailor on a submarine was watching a US Navy ship through a telescope as the crew practiced shooting (with cannons that looked more like they belonged on tudor-era warships). He was then horrified to see "'IM!" climb out of a crate of shells.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

phoenix4ever wrote:I'm really not sure I've got my head round this. I've decided to sleep on it because they do say that dreams can help to resolve such things overnight. I'm not hopeful though. :D
Blessed is he that expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed (13th Beatitude). How can a dream of genie with the heavy brown hare possibly be helpful?

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Part of my dream last night was comic related. In some sort of charity shop or bookshop, I found the first Whoopee! Annual- but it was PAPERBACK!

Navigation altered