Any Dandy Characters you DON'T like?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Any Dandy Characters you DON'T like?

Post by Digifiend »

Ollie's older than that, he's been around for most of this decade (since around 2001), but the relaunches were in 2004 and 2007. Which relaunch are you referring to anyway, Xtreme or the earlier one?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Ollie's also been fairly consistent in style to my mind, to be honest. Between his gorgeously thatched house and the stories, he's been a fairly well-rounded character - between skateboarding, relationships with his mum, bantering with his mates, and torturing Billy he's pretty well written.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Well I first started collecting the Beano and the Dandy when Ollie fliptrik first came out, and never really liked it. I also recall a character called "Digital Dan" who looked like the 2004-2007 Desperate Dan. I think they may have been thinking about changing the Dandy in 2002 when Ollie first came out, because that just seemed the case.

Either that, or the Dandy had been trying to be less british comic like since around '01, but they didn't decide to relaunch it, but instead gradually make the strips different. Alot of Steven Wight strips from the Dandy books 2004 and 2005 seemed to be more like the 2004-2007 dandy, and I hated those strips.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Hmm, the last weekly Winker Watson artist. I always liked the character more when drawn by Terry Bave, so was glad when Ken Harrison took over for the latest annual, and restored Eric Roberts's style to the strip - Bave's style was only slightly modified, but Wright's was completely different! They were lazy too, at least one of Wright's annual strips was redrawn from a 70s Roberts one (the original had two uses of the cane, but nobody actually got whacked).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

on a point of information, it's Stephen White :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:oops: Freddy and I both spelt it differently and we were both wrong. I feel like sinking into quicksand right now! :wink:

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Okay, sorry for bringing this subject back from the dead but I have some opinions which I'd like to share.

1. Black Bob
I never liked this comic strip, it was really boring. There was just something incredibly "lame" about it. Or though, I do recall enjoying 'Young Black Bob' drawn by one of my favourite adventure artists, Keith Robson however.

2. Rasper
There was something quite gross and odd about this strip, good artwork by Tom Paterson though.

3. Dinah Mo
I found Beryl more likeable and funnier if I'm honest (Bob Nixon also managed to make Beryl look like a sweet girl but still contain that menace inside her), Dinah Mo was too "manly?" plus she didn't look very likeable and I could never relate to her personality.

4. Office Hours
This strip was one of the worst in the 2004 Dandy revamp, the art style was way to modern for me, I like detail in comic strips.

5. Harry Hill's Real Life Adventures in TV Land
I just don't like celebrities in comics, simple really.

6. Fu Schnicken, the Kung Fu Chicken
GAH! This strip was awful!! (No offence Wayne), the artwork itself was impressive but I found none of the stories funny!!

7. Simples! 101 Ways to use a Meerkat
This was BRILLIANT! But then they ran out at about 50, thank God Wayne took over. It improved a lot but alas, it was too late.

8. Flop Gear
We took a bad joke and some repetition, worst idea for a comic strip... IN THE WORLD.
Last edited by WizzKid97 on 11 Oct 2011, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

WizzKid97 wrote:Okay, sorry for bringing this subject back from the dead but I have some opinions which I'd like to share.

1. Black Bob
I never liked this comic strip, it was really boring. There was just something incredibly "lame" about it. Or though, I do recall enjoying 'Young Black Bob' drawn by one of my favourite adventure artists, Keith Robson however.

2. Rasper
There was something quite gross and odd about this strip, good artwork by Tom Paterson though.

3. Dinah Mo
I found Beryl more likeable and funnier if I'm honest (Bob Nixon also managed to make Beryl look like a sweet girl but still contain that menace inside her), Dinah Mo was too "manly?" plus she didn't look very likeable and I could never relate to her personality.

4. Office Wars
This strip was one of the worst in the 2004 Dandy revamp, the art style was way to modern for me, I like detail in comic strips.

5. Harry Hill's Real Life Adventures in TV Land
I just don't like celebrities in comics, simple really.

6. Fu Schnicken, the Kung Fu Chicken
GAH! This strip was awful!! (No offence Wayne), the artwork itself was impressive but I found none of the stories funny!!

7. Simples! 101 Ways to use a Meerkat
This was BRILLIANT! But then they ran out at about 50, thank God Wayne took over. It improved a lot but alas, it was too late.

8. Flop Gear
We took a bad joke and some repetition, worst idea for a comic strip... IN THE WORLD.
You could have posted this on my own thread in the general discussion thread, you nincompoop. I never read Black Bob in old annuals, the story looks dragging and boring. Office "wars" was actually called office hours.

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

Yeah, Lucy Grimm from 2008-2010 was TERRIBLE with a capital Terr and a capital Ible.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

comicsgalore wrote:You could have posted this on my own thread in the general discussion thread, you nincompoop. I never read Black Bob in old annuals, the story looks dragging and boring. Office "wars" was actually called office hours.
Yeah, but instead I did it on here, no problem with that.
Thanks, getting Office Hours mixed up with a game called Office Wars!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

comicsgalore wrote:You could have posted this on my own thread in the general discussion thread, you nincompoop.
No need for the attitude. Besides, at least it proves that he used the Search function.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

you don't like Black Bob :shock: :shock:
:)
Maybe when you are older you'll change your mind..

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Peter Gray wrote:you don't like Black Bob :shock: :shock:
Sorry Peter! I think it's just that I was introduced to the Dandy waaaayyy after Black Bob had ended. I think I would've read it if it were in speech bubbles strangely, I found text and text/picture story really boring probably because I'm used to shorter comic strips that are less wordy.

I have to admit though, I loved the Keith Robson Young Black Bob series, I found it very exciting after buying a few back issues and back annuals. :)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

WizzKid97 wrote:
Peter Gray wrote:you don't like Black Bob :shock: :shock:
Sorry Peter! I think it's just that I was introduced to the Dandy waaaayyy after Black Bob had ended. I think I would've read it if it were in speech bubbles strangely, I found text and text/picture story really boring probably because I'm used to shorter comic strips that are less wordy.

I have to admit though, I loved the Keith Robson Young Black Bob series, I found it very exciting after buying a few back issues and back annuals. :)
I hope that the people who ask why comics can't be like they used to be take note of your opinions on this Harry. As you're a 14 year old it's interesting to hear that you found Jonah too long, and that you don't like old-style adventure stories. I suspect your opinion is the same as that of many younger readers, which is why UK comics have had to change so much over the years. Sadly it seems kids just don't have the patience for more involved comic strips these days. Not that I'm having a go; just making an observation.

(Personally, Black Bob was a much loved favourite of mine and, as I've said a few times before, the strip helped teach me to read when I was four. Equally importantly, it helped me develop a compassion for animals. I don't think turning it into a humour strip would have the same effect on new readers.)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Lew Stringer wrote:I hope that the people who ask why comics can't be like they used to be take note of your opinions on this Harry. As you're a 14 year old it's interesting to hear that you found Jonah too long, and that you don't like old-style adventure stories. I suspect your opinion is the same as that of many younger readers, which is why UK comics have had to change so much over the years. Sadly it seems kids just don't have the patience for more involved comic strips these days. Not that I'm having a go; just making an observation.
I think the reason why kids don't like adventure stories is because we're not familiar with them, I only started reading the Beano and Dandy (Xtreme) in late 2007 surprisingly and by then, adventure comics were shown the back door.

Thing is, I loved reading the adventure serials in the DFC and can't wait for the Phoenix adventure stories. But maybe this is it, The Beano and Dandy have become famous as humour comics rather than as adventure comics (whereas I'd class DFC as an adventure comic any day).

Doesn't mean I'd like to see adventure strips gone, I loved General Jumbo and Billy the Cat, two amazing stories. Young Black Bob was exciting to me as well and I found 'The Comet' very interesting to read. One story I always loved was The Leopard from Lime Street in the Buster. That was very exciting!