Can The Dandy Survive another 10 Years?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

MikeC

Re: Can The Dandy Survive another 10 Years?

Post by MikeC »

Double post.

wayne thompson

Post by wayne thompson »

thank you mike :D

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

The Beano manga thing is mentioned here a lot, but the Jak strip does that manga stuff better without announcing it in its title to make sure you notice it.
Yeah, I think the first Beano Manga strip was actually called Chipis, but I think that almost nobody seemed to get it - I think the idea was 'chips of the old block', but I don't think readers would have immediately thought of that. One advantage of Jak and Todd is that it features a consistent character line up, whereas Beano Manga features manga versions of lots of different Beano characters past and present.

Speaking of Beano Manga, has anyone else noticed that in two of the last three issues of the Beano a character has been eaten in the Beano Manga strip?
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I wonder if that'll be a running gag, like the squelchies in Calamity James, and the blackboard lines punishments in Mike Pearse's Bash Street stories.

As for Chipis, yeah, it's derived from chip off the old block, and is also one letter different to the Japanese art concept of Chibis, which is what the Beano Manga characters are.