Dandy Relaunch THIS WEDNESDAY!!!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Little Squelchy Thing

Re: Dandy Relaunch THIS WEDNESDAY!!!

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

This news delights me, Monkey Nuts was the most delicious of eye-candy I've seen for some time!

Nigel Auchterlounie

Post by Nigel Auchterlounie »

The Etherington Brothers are awesome!
If you go to their blog
http://theetheringtonbrothers.blogspot.com/
And click on the portfolio button there's loads of awesome stuff there.
I've used awesome twice now, displaying a truly awesome lack of vocabulary.
There's a part of me that thinks "Aw crap, someone else better than me in the Dandy! I've got more competition than I need, going up against Jamie, lew, and that other Nigel.

But the pure goodness of their work helps dilute those thoughts.
And helps insure that the Dandy stays Awesome(5) for another 90 years.

(I know it's not 90)

kevf

Post by kevf »

The Etheringtons in The Dandy is a fantastic move. This really is a revolution in this comic, I'm so impressed. Bought this weeks with the Simon Cowell cover and really enjoyed reading it. It's the best actual funny comic since Oink, and before that Mad magazine in the 70s. Oh and Viz, but that's different. Well done everyone, I hope the sales are rewarding it.
Kev F
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Me too... how long until we find out the sales figures?

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

The Etheringtons used to do the UK Webcomix Thing's, but moved onto pastures new (and better... and the Thing has come to an end now anyway). They self-published thier own comic called Malcolm Magic that's well worth getting. I beleive it has been collected into one lavish (and huge) hardback now.

Edit: Oh yeah and they love hot rods and modified classic cars. Can't go wrong with slipping those in to the story!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

re sales figures i dont think they seem to have changed much since the dark days of extreme as the last few weeks my local whs only seemed to have sold 4 copies and when i went i to buy this weeks there was only 4 copies on the shelf.hope i am wrong though.

kevf

Post by kevf »

Report from the chalkface of my Comic Art Masterclasses, working in the past week in schools in London (Portland Place, yr 9s), Dublin (Clongowes Wood & Larkin, yr 7s) and Welwyn Garden City (yr 7s) I have the most delightful news: a child saying, with no prompting from me, "I love The Dandy".

She was in fact referring to her Dandy annuals which she gets every year, her favourite strip being the "big bloke in the red shirt" (Desperate Dan).

When I scatter comics around the tables for inspiration there's now quite a few new Dandies in there, and kids seize upon the images therein to draw, possibly more than any others. I shall seek out and show you kids drawings when I have a mo. Shaolin Punks and Harry Hill seem the most popular pictures to copy at the moment.

Just thought you'd be interested.

Kev F
Kev F - Comic Genius

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The new Dandy got a nice little plug on Radio Five's Alan Davies show this morning as Harry pretended to be bemused by the fact that he didn't get paid for appearing in it. Even better, though, were the tracks they played from his new Christmas record - especially the amazing Ken Barlow Song. :)

- Phil Rushton

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

big bad bri wrote:re sales figures i dont think they seem to have changed much since the dark days of extreme as the last few weeks my local whs only seemed to have sold 4 copies and when i went i to buy this weeks there was only 4 copies on the shelf.hope i am wrong though.
You're not. WHSmith seemed to have no Dandys yesterday. That seems a little too soon to be sold out, so I think they must've reduced the size of their order. :( I'd already bought it anyway.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The two Dandy "Coming Soon" sections are up.
The first one is a newsletter sign up page.
The second one is a story poll. "Which is better? There's only one way to find out..." and just for a change, the answer isn't fight!

Current vote stats (wow, lots of votes already!)

Harry Hill 141

Shaolin Punks 238

Kid Kops 242

Postman Pratt 251

Robot on the Run 521

George Vs The Dragon 2865

Desperate Dan 3257

Oh dear. Harry's not popular. Last place. So much for the big selling point.

That's a totally different cover design. Can't show the full size version, it oddly shows the one from 30th October instead of 4th December when you click to view it.

kevf

Post by kevf »

Dan 30 times as popular as Harry? Surely not? What about the other strips?
Kev F - Comic Genius

jsb97

Post by jsb97 »

There are so many votes because you are allowed to vote more than once, so I guess a few maniac fans kept clicking for hours! I voted for george vs dragon, not that it made much difference, with all the votes!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:
That's a totally different cover design. Can't show the full size version, it oddly shows the one from 30th October instead of 4th December when you click to view it.
Ogle that rare sight while you can. It's the cover to the dummy issue! Perhaps it's there as a placeholder until the new cover goes up tomorrow.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i just noticed harry hill strip now 3rd but you cant even vote for bananaman.(im still hoping it will eventually get art that actually resembles bananaman strips of old.)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I thought that cover looked out of place, now I know why, thanks Lew. Saved it to computer. I don't suppose you have a bigger version to show? Most of the text on there is too small to read. I'm surprised Shrek was on there.