This weeks Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: This weeks Dandy

Post by Digifiend »

Oops. Looks like they printed next week's Desperate Dan this week by mistake, judging by the advert on the inside back cover which uses a panel from this week's story. Instead of the "spotty" tale advertised last week, we got one about a whale.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Oops. Looks like they printed next week's Desperate Dan this week by mistake, judging by the advert on the inside back cover which uses a panel from this week's story. Instead of the "spotty" tale advertised last week, we got one about a whale.
We're going to be putting mistakes into every comic now just for you to spot them Digi. :wink:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Nice to see Bully Beef and Chips in Bananaman
Still more to read yet..

Great to see The dandy celebrate its past again..maybe we will see that Dandy coffee book one day..75..80 year book?

Little Squelchy Thing

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

Peter Gray wrote:Nice to see Bully Beef and Chips in Bananaman
Still more to read yet..

Great to see The dandy celebrate its past again..maybe we will see that Dandy coffee book one day..75..80 year book?
I loved that Bully Beef cameo, especially his five o'clock shadow!

Weirdly, I've done a little Bully Beef cameo for a strip recently as well - what is going on in Dandy land? :D

In other news, next week's Dandy features the last in the current run for George vs Dragon, so I made this to herald the event:

http://www.andyfanton.com/2011/01/the-b ... l-battles/

Enjoy! :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:offtopic2: Heh, who'd have thought it, a Dandy artist in Reader's Digest. Yep, Will Dawbarn (Mr Meecher artist) drew a gag in the latest issue (it has Alex Kingston on the cover). It shows an apparently confused Captain Kirk from Star Trek looking at a laptop, with a caption that asks about how to read an obsolete file format Sulu's holiday photos are in. Obviously a joke poking fun at how fast technology changes. 8)

Jay

Post by Jay »

Really looking forward to next weeks Desperate Dan vs Dennis the Menace. Jamie's take on Dennis looks great.

Also, have we seen the end of Kid Cops? :(

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

For now. Lew drew that and Postman Prat expecting one to replace the other. They ran them together then ordered more Prat. If you want to see more from Kid Cops, tell the Dandy editor (you can do that on Facebook or Twitter, or by voting in that website poll).

The Beano had better advertise next week's Dandy, seeing as Dennis will be in it. If not, something is seriously wrong in the advertising department. Beano hasn't advertised Dandy at all since the revamp. Now's the perfect time for that to change.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Loved Desperate Dan this week..with the mix-up with the hats..
Like Boo with the signs..like Biccies in pockets..
Thingummy Blob looks fun next week..Sparky eat your heart out!
Nice ending on Dennis v's Dan
Not got into Bork..or Robot on the Run
I might do that survey online
Would be cool if there is an adult T Shirt of a Dandy star..

for an extra 12 pages I don't mind buying..at least the free gifts havn't been every week and s it makes it a bit more special.
Korky was good..love the ending about what he really loves.. :)
Quite like Mr Meecher..
Yore! not sure about yet..is it lots of heads stuck on bodies..is that the way it is built up..on computer?
the story was good more green needed!!..didn't like the wee wee bit..

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Jay wrote: Also, have we seen the end of Kid Cops? :(
I'm writing new ones this week so they'll be back at some point hopefully, but your vote will still be appreciated to make sure. :cheers:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Did the Beano editor not want readers to know that Dennis was in the Dandy this week? No advert. :headbash:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Is the origin in thingummyblob! similar to the original as i never read the 1st ep of that or is it completly different? The cover is way too big this week ,i cant bag it up or it wont fit in the box properly with the rest.I hate it what next are they gonna make it hanbag size like they have done with total film& womens mags in the past :( :x

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Good question Bri - could someone please show us the first Sparky Thingummyblob strip?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:Is the origin in thingummyblob! similar to the original as i never read the 1st ep of that or is it completly different? The cover is way too big this week ,i cant bag it up or it wont fit in the box properly with the rest.I hate it what next are they gonna make it hanbag size like they have done with total film& womens mags in the past :( :x
Why do you need to bag it up? The paper it's printed on now is so good it will outlive all of us. :)

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... title.html

Jamie has put a picture up on his blog..he said he drew this new one 4 years ago!! Maybe that is why the font is a bit different! He is also drawing new ones now..

Loved Boo this week lovely funny details and what an ending!
Lets hope Andy get to draw more than one page a week soon he is really good..

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Peter, what a great blog. I've bookmarked it. Thanks.
Yesterday, I was in Tesco and, as I'd been reading all this stuff about Dandy and Beano, I bought a copy of each. Don't know quite how to say this as I don't want to offend anyone, especially hard working pros. who are knocking their pans out for the comics. It was surreal and after 3 reads of The Dandy, I felt I didn't get it but I am over 60. The art styles did nothing for me and I have a feeling they weren't meant to. Kids probably love The Dandy but it left me cold. The Beano, on the other hand was quite funny and I rather took to it and loved the idea to reprint a couple of strips in the back. Mind you, and please don't anyone take offence, a quick comparison between the reprints and new stuff is very interesting. I admit I'm somewhat set in my ways and am probably blinkered but I'm also a member of the comic buying public. I'm going to try them on a couple of kids and see what they say, as one of them reads some comics.
Please feel free to slag me off now.