Dandy Thread - Deleted Post

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Raven

Re: Dandy Thread - Deleted Post

Post by Raven »

NP wrote:It's not a question of being sensitive or annoyed about criticism. That hasn't been the point at all, as would be clear from the threads at issue.

Yes, criticism wasn't the issue in the particular *post* in question at the centre of all the latest - Lew obviously saw that as an unfair personal attack - but it seems to have been the critical nature of Martin's posts that initially started getting backs up in the first place (or maybe it was just the way they were expressed?), and Al had queried whether people should actually say if they think things are poor.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I think the issue has, more than anything, criticism while failing to understand why things are the way they are.

I've mentioned this a lot, but the classic example is the amount of reprint in the Beano - it is not credible that this could be for any reason other than budgetary. We are not short of creatives in this country who could fill those pages, and most of them indeed appear to be working for the Dandy.

The other big example is that things can't stay the way they were. I saw a wise post recently pointing out that kids of the 70s and 80s like me would not necessarily have liked the comics of 30 years earlier, because they are so different; how can we expect kids now to like what we liked? That still leaves the perfectly valid question of whether change is for the better...

Raven

Post by Raven »

AndyB wrote: The other big example is that things can't stay the way they were. I saw a wise post recently pointing out that kids of the 70s and 80s like me would not necessarily have liked the comics of 30 years earlier, because they are so different; how can we expect kids now to like what we liked? That still leaves the perfectly valid question of whether change is for the better...

From what I hear, quite a few kids today often do pick up a lot of old 70s/80s annuals from their families, secondhand places, etc. though, and seem to like them a lot. I was reminded of this a few days ago when walking through a secondhand bookshop where a young girl was curled up on a settee, absolutely absorbed in an early Seventies Beano annual.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Raven wrote:
AndyB wrote: The other big example is that things can't stay the way they were. I saw a wise post recently pointing out that kids of the 70s and 80s like me would not necessarily have liked the comics of 30 years earlier, because they are so different; how can we expect kids now to like what we liked? That still leaves the perfectly valid question of whether change is for the better...

From what I hear, quite a few kids today often do pick up a lot of old 70s/80s annuals from their families, secondhand places, etc. though, and seem to like them a lot. I was reminded of this a few days ago when walking through a secondhand bookshop where a young girl was curled up on a settee, absolutely absorbed in an early Seventies Beano annual.
My kids are always taking my Asterix and Tintin books and most of them were published before I was born! I keep meaning to buy some of the newer editions with zingier colouring, but they seem to like the old ones fine.... :offtopic2:
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

As an infrequent poster who prefers to read, I once tried to offer swirlything a little advice. To me, the reason he upset people was that he a) expressed himself in a pretty unpleasant way, regardless of his intent, and b) aggressively reacted to anyone whose opinion differed from his.
Forums are social gatherings, regardless of their online nature, and his manner was akin to a loudmouthed, obnoxious stranger in a small rural pub, where the locals enjoyed a quiet chat. Sadly, such people usually find the pub emptying around them until they are the only one there.
If he had taken more care to ensure that his contributions fitted in with the generally gentle atmosphere of this forum, no-one would have taken issue with him or his opinions.
Lew is a patient industry man who takes pains to point out factual inaccuracies where he finds them, as he rightly believes that what is published on the internet is often taken as truth. It's a shame he has left and it diminishes this place.

NP

Post by NP »

MikeC, no one could disagree with you there. Well said.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've been commenting in private my thoughts to the admin..But decided to add my comments here which I hate to do But feel its important..

I think it went wrong when Lew recieved the horrible email (saying Lew was out of line writing comments on his posts) he should have been off this board for 6 months..a year straight away has i've said before he never said sorry to Lew..

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Peter Gray wrote:as i've said before he never said sorry to Lew..
No, Peter, he hasn't, and furthermore, it does not appear to have occurred to him to express some thanks to Lew, and to me, for going quite a bit of trouble, over several posts, to try to point out his deficiencies, to offer some guidance as to how he might address his problems, and to suggest to him that his strengths, when stripped of the baggage surrounding them, would prove to be a welcome addition to the forum. Clearly we are still waiting for him to slough off completely his inability to see anybody else in a positive light. There is always the possibility though, I suppose, that he thinks we are simply wrong. A minor positive is that his recent posts have been inoffensive, one of which has been very helpful to me.

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Without going over old ground, as in I've been unable to defend myself when he mentioned me directly in that rant due to being banned, I think now that you all know what he's capable of and I shall refrain - completely - from any incendiary comments in the future.

I still don't want the guy banned, an apology here and there wouldn't go amiss, but for me the matter is closed.

I thank you, and goodnight.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've always found it funny when characters in film and tv shows start a swearword off with the first letter and then stop themselves. It just makes it obvious they know they are in film/tv show. Its more apparent in, say, a war film where there are all men/soldiers present. In real life we would let go with the expletive (unless there were ladies present of course).

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

Stop being such a little does Lewd Cheesestringers.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Excuse me? :?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Digifiend wrote:Excuse me? :?
that goes double :? :? for me

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

big bad bri wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Excuse me? :?
that goes double :? :? for me
Yanobandy keeps resurrecting dead threads...hmmmm....
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Yes, but in the other threads he's been posting about comics - nothing wrong with that, I've done it in the past. This one, however, just seems baffling to me. Could you please explain what you mean by this comment, yanobandy?
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson