I think The Dandy and its artists are bloody brilliant!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Mr. Sheridan

I think The Dandy and its artists are bloody brilliant!

Post by Mr. Sheridan »

I must admit, I'm a bit of a lurker on these forums... Pretty much every day I read what everybody has to say, but I rarely post.

I grew up with The Dandy in the 70s and 80s, and I'm still a reader to this day. I buy two copies a week - one for me, and one for my nephews.

Whilst, like everybody else, I'm disappointed with the recent Dandy sales figures, I have been absolutely astonished by the bile and criticism levelled at some of the comic's artists and production staff - not only on this website, but several others.

These forums provide an excellent opportunity to share views, but these sad, jealous individuals who love nothing more than to moan and groan and provide no constructive criticism, make me so bloody angry. One prolific individual named Kid something-or-other has got to be the most obnoxious, bitter old queen I've ever had the misfortune to read about. If he, and his co-conspirators, have got some good ideas, why don't they set up a comic themselves. Ah, probably not a good idea - as I doubt any of them actually have a sense of humour, or can actually draw...

I just wanted to say, that I and my family absolutely LOVE the current incarnation of The Dandy. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I think it's not looked this good for a very long time.

Jamie Smart, Nigel Parkinson, Lew Stringer, Wayne Thompson, Stu Monroe, Alexander Matthews, Andy Fanton, Wilbur Dawburn... I salute you. You're doing a great job.

I challenge anybody not to find 'Pre-Skool Prime Minister', 'George versus Dragon', 'Mr Meecher' etc innovative, funny, well-drawn, contemporary and brave.

Yes, obviously there's some more changes ahead at The Dandy, but I for one appreciate all the hard work that goes into Britain's oldest comic title. Keep up the good work and don't let these petty little losers get you down.

-MikeD-

Re: I think The Dandy and its artists are bloody brilliant!

Post by -MikeD- »

Mr. Sheridan wrote: These forums provide an excellent opportunity to share views, but these sad, jealous individuals who love nothing more than to moan and groan and provide no constructive criticism, make me so bloody angry.
(snip)
Keep up the good work and don't let these petty little losers get you down.
Hmmm...many of the critics are not 'petty little losers' and maybe you should slightly tone down your invective if criticising others for their unmoderated rantings?

Just a thought....

I agree the debate has become highly polarised and uncomfortably personal. But that's the nature of the internet. Even this friendly little forum sometimes sinks into abuse, but the moderators are getting used to wielding the banhammer... :D
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: I think The Dandy and its artists are bloody brilliant!

Post by AndyB »

The moderators quite frankly are sick wielding any sort of hammer ;) Wonder if Thor Thumb would lend us his?

I would agree pretty much with what Mr S said. The writing is very strong, and the artwork matches it.

There is something about Jamie's Dan that makes it work perfectly. It's nothing like pre-2004 Dan, but it's truer to that incarnation than the post-2004 Dan, which in my personal opinion never quite worked.

There certainly are weaker strips - not everybody has the killer instinct for a punchline, and it sometimes shows. Other people may well enjoy them though.

Like many of the posters here, I don't get the in-jokes about some of the celebrities featured, but I've long since learned to enjoy them at face value - in particular, Nigel has taken care to make sure that you don't need to know anything about them to get the joke at a satisfactory level.