A question about Korky (the cat)

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

yanobandy

A question about Korky (the cat)

Post by yanobandy »

Nigel Parkinson might be able to tell me this. From 1998-2003, who was the artist for Korky the Cat? I read on wikipedia David Sutherland was the artist around this time but the version i saw doesent look like him. He has funny eyebrows, has two kids in his story with him. It could be Jimmy Hansen but i never heard of him drawing for it. Graeme Hall? Bugging me. It could be Barrie Appleby as well.

Jonny Whizz

Re: A question about Korky (the cat)

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I have three issues of the Dandy from 1998. In one of them, Korky doesn't appear, in the other two he is on the back cover, drawn by Vic Neill.

That probably isn't very helpful, but I hope it's of some use, as those are the only Dandys I have I'm afraid.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

It isnt Vic Neill anyway.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

There was no one artist in that period. Vic died in 2000, so obviously his version stopped then. Dave Windett took over before 2002, and did most of the Dandy annuals from then on. Other artists in that era include Dave Sutherland, Jimmy Hansen, and finally Henry Davies.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

And did you get that information from Wikipedia, Digifend?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Mostly from Korky's article, yes (but mainly to check details, I knew both Davies and Sutherland had drawn him, just not when), but I remembered Windett without looking it up, and checked his website, which I linked to in that post.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

Because i posted up there Jimmy Hansen drew it, before thinking it might not be him. Sorry.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

Or, i was going to edit it before i found out Internet Explorer had a problem with Wikipedia.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

David Sutherland took over shortly after Bob Nixon died, and after he drew the second incarnation of Jak, from memory.

Dave Windett drew Korky around 2003 or so, maybe a little before that, and up to the 2004 relaunch, according to my records (and correspondence with Dave a few years ago). I was quite fond of it. After a run of reprints for some months, Henry Davies took over using computer cut-and-pastes of Korky, which looked awful.

I think it was at that point that Korky was dropped until the Dandy revamp.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Steve Bright also contributed towards Korky around2002/2003, I have quite a few drawn by him. :)
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

It could be Leslie Reavey, who drew a few around that time.