What Dandy Character Would You Like Back?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

big bad bri

Re: What Dandy Character Would You Like Back?

Post by big bad bri »

Puss & boots,Black bob or jonah I really enjoyed the series dandy did in the late 90s i think it was though not up to ken reid standards still very enjoyable.

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

WizzKid97 wrote: Winker Watson - I would love to see this wangler back - maybe by... Wayne Thompson to get that classic feeling.
Really!? :shock:
Isn't there enough Wayne Thompson in the comic already?

The comic these days is dominated by Jamie Smart, Nigel Auhterlounie and Wayne Thompson. The first two are funny fellows, and I understand why there's so much of their material in there, but Thompson? His work tends to be laugh-free. To be fair, I don't think he writes it himself, it has that bland, unfunny feeling you get with in-house stuff, like, well, the whole of The Beano. I just think Thompson's pages sit very oddly next to the genuinely funny work of some of the other contributors.
(His Bully Beef and Chips is dreadful! What a missed opportunity)

What I'd love to see is more of Alexander Matthews, Wilbur Dawburn, and Andy Fanton. These are the three new talents who've come along who write genuinely funny material, but they're underused. They tend to have one page each. Am I really alone in thinking it would be great if these three had 2 or 3 pages each per issue, and we had a little less Wayne Thompson?

Little Squelchy Thing

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

Ginger wrote: What I'd love to see is more of Alexander Matthews, Wilbur Dawburn, and Andy Fanton. These are the three new talents who've come along who write genuinely funny material, but they're underused. They tend to have one page each. Am I really alone in thinking it would be great if these three had 2 or 3 pages each per issue, and we had a little less Wayne Thompson?
Thanks, Ginger! As of next week I've another new full-page strip starting (this one I'm also writing), so there'll be two pages and one mini-strip by me for a bit from then! Which is either good news, or bad depending on your viewpoint :D

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

For me Cuddles and Dimples represented the end of the Dandy's greatness. It was until its 50th birthday that I felt it went downhill and Cuddles and Dimples were added to the Dandy about that time. Not saying that all the strips were bad during those days, but that the era of golden strips and comic artists had passed. One character I'd love to see back is Winker Watson. His stories were always very funny and interesting and Eric Roberts was such a great artist.I jsut hope in the Dandy Annual they would have kept Winker like he was.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Without having seen Wilbur's work on Winker, I believe that as in the Mr Meecher strip which featured him, he is staying close to the original (and therefore treating Stephen White's work as non-canon!)

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

good