Price rise to £1.99

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Price rise to £1.99

Post by AndyB »

Key thing to remember is that Editorial do not control the cover price. That decision is made elsewhere.

SID

Post by SID »

One thing I have noticed from the price increase is that people are now considering subscriptions. A good thing for The Dandy (I started my subscription just after the revamp).

I just hope parents are thinking along the same lines. :xfingers:

I personally think The Dandy has gone from strength to strength since shedding its Xtreme image. Keep it coming.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

SID wrote:One thing I have noticed from the price increase is that people are now considering subscriptions. A good thing for The Dandy (I started my subscription just after the revamp).
I like to buy my copy in the local Nisa store...it's a nostalgia thing. If they stop selling it, I'll probably subscribe because it's a long trek to Tesco and I haven't seen a copy anywhere else.

I hope the must-have present this Christmas - a tablet computer - sees a rise in digital subscriptions for both the Beano and the Dandy. In fact, it's worth DCT putting out a style guide to make the strips easier to format for digital. Maybe they're already planning one.

As for the price hike. Yup, it is a massive jump, almost without precedent, and it is on the back of more reprints (I don't mind reprints - most readers haven't seen them before) and more filler (game reviews and other magazine style articles are most unwelcome, but it doesn't do Toxic any harm.) but I can see why it's necessary.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Dandy already has a style guide, designed by Jamie Smart. That's why most of the strips have those banners with uniform text.

dishes

Post by dishes »

Digifiend wrote:The Dandy already has a style guide, designed by Jamie Smart. That's why most of the strips have those banners with uniform text.
Well, Mike D is/was a Dandy artist, I think he knows whereof he speaks, Digifiend! I'm guessing he meant an updated Style Guide.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

dishes wrote:
Digifiend wrote:The Dandy already has a style guide, designed by Jamie Smart. That's why most of the strips have those banners with uniform text.
Well, Mike D is/was a Dandy artist, I think he knows whereof he speaks, Digifiend! I'm guessing he meant an updated Style Guide.
Yeah...updated for digital media. And was a Dandy artist is the important word here. None of my recent strips have been accepted... :(

My son has been playing around with After Effects recently. It's amazing how quick you can put together motion comics by manipulating the original art and adding sound FX. I think this is where comics like the Dandy are heading eventually, for better or worse...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's a shame, Mike.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Digifiend wrote:That's a shame, Mike.
Ta...but I don't think my style of dawing (or writing) really gels with the current Dandy. It's a pity there's so few other options when it comes to drawing humour comics for kids nowadays...

Still, I have a day job so I can't really moan. And I'm still drawing comic strips, if only for fun not profit. :)

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Hope you don't mind me asking Mike, but why do you feel your style doesn't fit the modern Dandy?

I think sometimes certain artists' styles don't go with a particular comic's house style, regardless of their artistic talent. For instance, Nick Brennan drew a lot for the Dandy in the 1990s and early 2000s, but Crazy for Daisy was his only regular Beano strip. Now the Dandy has changed massively in style, as has the Beano to a much lesser extent, he's the Billy Whizz artist for the Beano whereas as far as I know he has only drawn the odd strip since the Xtreme revamp, let alone the more recent one. I'm not suggesting that you're necessarily in the same boat, though.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

:offtopic1:
Jonny Whizz wrote:Hope you don't mind me asking Mike, but why do you feel your style doesn't fit the modern Dandy?
Hi Jonny... I think my stuff often feels old fashioned, certainly in the sense that it lacks any connection to the dynamism of modern cartoons, but also in my choices regarding design, imagery etc. Worse - I've tried adapting, but style is something I feel owes more to evolution than contrivance, so I'm trapped drawing like it's 1977 for the time being...which I'm happy with, but it's not the most saleable approach to art in the current market.

Or...I'm crap. I prefer to think it's a style thing... :D