THE DANDY COMIC ON THE VERGE OF CANCELLATION

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella »

But wasn't Bananaman in Nutty at the time? Which of course closed down after not an overly long run.

Originally posted by Chris on the old forum on 09/12/2003

Old Forum Fella

Yes, but I think it was the success of Bananaman which enabled the Nutty to run for 5 Years in what was an already declining market.

Originally posted by Azteccomics on the old forum on 09/12/2003

Old Forum Fella

Chris - Sorry mate I wasn't meaning that twee was a bad thing, but the fact seems to be the "Dandy" isn't selling in its current format so something needs to change and fast - I don't think some of the strips do justice to their audience at all and to be honest some of the "classics" have had their day - Korky the cat and dare I say Desperate Dan . Kids of "Dandy age" today watch Cartoon Network, Paramount etc etc they can cope with more edgy type strips - look at some of the Kid Paddle) we have the talent here Lew Stringer, Tom Patterson Steve Bright let em rip on the comic.

Originally posted by PAUL MCSCOTTY on the old forum on PAUL MCSCOTTY

Old Forum Fella

Interesting comment about Agent Dog 2 Zero. It seems to me the editorial staff are trying to address the need for a more up-to-date look on some pages of the Dandy, but are stuck between a rock and a very hard place - how do you modernise a classic comic without alienating the readers you already have? The artist of AD2Z, Wayne Thompson, is a fantastic talent - his previous work for the Dandy, Auntie Clockwise, was outstanding - but perhaps AD2Z is too much in the 'Cartoon Network' style for the more traditional British comic. A tricky line to toe, for sure.

Originally posted by Funkydunky on the old forum on Funkydunky