The Final Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

alanultron5

Re: The Final Dandy

Post by alanultron5 »

Yeah! P.C Big Ears - thanks Digi! One of J.K Geerings underatted efforts- but I liked it! The 75 years special concentrates more on certain characters sometimes giving them quite a few `strips` The first ever `Bully Beef & Chips` from Dandy 10th June 1967 is in that and its interesting how they have changed (B & C) over the years- Chips face certainly different in first ever strip.

`Corporal Clott` gets quite a few pages and the two `Big Head & Thick Head` offerings are far better than the one in last ever Dandy!
A Face unclouded by thought.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My local Smiths in Surrey Quays, London finally had some copies - I bought one (and am still waiting for two copies ordered from Thomsons). I was disappointed - too many old strips given a modern look. I'd be happy if I never saw Jamie Smart's artwork ever again.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Was there three printings? Someone on Facebook says theirs had gold foil, not red or silver. In any case, they're selling as fast as the original batch!
http://www.facebook.com/TheDandyComic/p ... 2594546565

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The ones they had in Smiths yesterday were red foil and had only just come in as I have been checking regularly - unless they had not put them out originally.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

NewsPlus at North Point Shopping Centre in Hull has a couple of copies. Saw them yesterday. They must be new in, as they weren't there when I looked on the day it came out! Red foil. I wonder if any gold or silver ones were printing errors.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I saw a silver foil logo cover in my local whs yesterday and when i went in for it today it was gone :(

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

stevezodiac wrote:My local Smiths in Surrey Quays, London finally had some copies - I bought one (and am still waiting for two copies ordered from Thomsons). I was disappointed - too many old strips given a modern look. I'd be happy if I never saw Jamie Smart's artwork ever again.
My copies arrived yesterday and they have gold foil. Looking through them I would like to take back what I said previously. As an older member I thought I would have preferred a 100 pages of reprint stuff but in hindsight I say well done to DCT for taking the trouble to give new life to a lot of their older characters. I'll never be a fan of some of the new artists but thank them for giving those vintage characters one more time in the spotlight.

I feel like Alastair Sim in Scrooge "Can you forgive an old man...?"

blackpuddingbertha

Post by blackpuddingbertha »

stevezodiac wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:My local Smiths in Surrey Quays, London finally had some copies - I bought one (and am still waiting for two copies ordered from Thomsons). I was disappointed - too many old strips given a modern look. I'd be happy if I never saw Jamie Smart's artwork ever again.
My copies arrived yesterday and they have gold foil. Looking through them I would like to take back what I said previously. As an older member I thought I would have preferred a 100 pages of reprint stuff but in hindsight I say well done to DCT for taking the trouble to give new life to a lot of their older characters. I'll never be a fan of some of the new artists but thank them for giving those vintage characters one more time in the spotlight.

I feel like Alastair Sim in Scrooge "Can you forgive an old man...?"
When did you order yours Steve? I ordered mine on the 5th December and it still hasn't arrived!

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

blackpuddingbertha wrote:When did you order yours Steve? I ordered mine on the 5th December and it still hasn't arrived!
I ordered mine on the 5th too, and still no sign. A bit annoying as I've since seen a copy in WH Smith (gold foil logo).

blaing

Post by blaing »

I think the problem was that some purchasers who bought at the DCT shop ended up with two copies while others got none.

However, I have a copy of the last Dandy (along with No. 3609) up for auction on eBay at the moment, and if anyone is interested click on the link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110991942396? ... 1555.l2649

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I ordered mine on the 6th December and it arrived last Friday. My mate Steve ordered his the day before and got his copy last week too. Seems like they are fulfilling the orders now.

blackpuddingbertha

That's great - thanks for the info. Hopefully mine'll arrive soon :)

SID

Post by SID »

I still haven't received mine. I also ordered a Banaman figure just before Christmas so will be interested on how quickly that comes.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

blackpuddingbertha

Still no sign of my copy although I got a nice email from DC Thomson apologising for the delay and saying I should have it by the end of the week :xfingers:

SID

Post by SID »

Got my copies from DCT today - gold (though I prefer the red version).

Does anyone have a silver version or is that a myth?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).