The penultimate edition

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

intune

Re: The penultimate edition

Post by intune »

I'm a subscriber and the penultimate edition has just arrived....
Spoilers below, don't read on if you don't want to know.

Here we go....

Another fantastic retro cover...

Some information about what happens to subscriptions... all will be transferred to the Digital Dandy automatically. An email will be sent to the bill payer on how to get access.

Some details about the final Dandy. Harry Hill is back, a free copy of the first Dandy, countdown the top 75 characters of all time... Plus 'A very very very special mystery guest!'

And some details about the Digital Dandy... "The Dandy - It's a whole new dimension. it's dramatic, it's daft it's different!" "Loaded with laughs, packed with stories and filled with extras, videos and games!"
"It's the Dandy like you've never seen it before!"

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Did it mention the price of the final Dandy? DC Thomson Shop says £5.49.

intune

Post by intune »

The news about subscriptions and Digtial Dandy were on the back of my address A4 sheet in the plastic bag. Digital Dandy starts on the 4th Dec. Details on final edition inside the comic.

No mentions of a price for next week on A4 or in comic.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Then some readers will be in for a nasty shock because if the price on DCT shop is the cover price, that's £3.50 more than normal. Since it's 100 pages, it is justified, but I do think they should've advertised the price inside the previous issue.

Dec 4th? That means the final print edition and first digital one are out on the same day! I'd assumed that the website would be updated that day but the first digital edition would be at least a week later.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

That's a good idea though as it means The Dandy's 75th birthday is not only the end of an era but also a new beginning.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I always was slightly miffed that my birthday is only one day after that of the Dandy's:

DANDY: 4 Dec; Me: 5 Dec

------no matter, I seek solace that I was born on

WALT DISNEY'S

6oth birthday, which ain't a bad coincidence for a cartoonist, comics and animation fan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

My birthday is the 4th Dec, I was born on The Dandy's 50th birthday. :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Gilly wrote:That's a good idea though as it means The Dandy's 75th birthday is not only the end of an era but also a new beginning.
You're right there. I didn't say it was bad, just that it was surprising.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Another Dandy annual cover..also Dan has a gun!!

At least we can read the new Dandy on a PC 8)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

So it isn't exclusive to tablets! Nice one! :D I wonder what the price will be... no printing or distribution costs, so they could reduce the price if they choose to.

But it had better not work the way the Beano Golden Ticket ones do - with that, past issues aren't accessible - and they stopped updating it six weeks early. They're lucky that nobody told BBC Watchdog.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I have a theory as to why they chose 1967 and 1987 as the annual covers, and it's not because they are just before the 40th and 60th anniversaries. I think it's as a tribute to Charlie Grigg - 1987 was his last cover, and while 1967 was his fourth cover, it was his second single-panel cover, and the first (1966) relied on shoelaces tied through the D of the logo.

Andy Fanton's strips wrap up. Next week should be very very interesting!

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

How have you managed to get your copy? I am also a subscriber but only got the Korky the Cat retro cover this Saturday just gone, I hope I don't have to wait till then to see it! Do you have a picture you could upload?

Its not on my iPhone either, the most recent issue is November 17th :-(

Adam

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Now that shouldn't be! Even non-subscribers should have the November 24th issue, which features Korky and a giant snowball on the cover. If you're a subscriber, you ought to also have the December 1st issue, which is the one this thread is about. The one out on December 4th will be dated December 8th.

If I've understood you right, you're missing one print edition and two iPhone ones?

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

I've got them all so far, my latest edition being the Korky the Cat one. I have not gotten any editions after this yet.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As it gets closer to Christmas it's worth remembering that a lot of weeklies start to appear in shops earlier than normal: for example I noticed the new 2000AD this afternoon, though it doesn't usually go on sale until Wednesday.

- Phil Rushton