Digital Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Digital Dandy

Post by Digifiend »

http://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/opi ... utely-fine

Anyone fancy guessing which other heroes will appear alongside Mr X in Retro Active? They could be from ANY DCT comic.
http://www.dandy.com/retroactive.aspx
Throughout the 1970s and ‘80s, there were stories of teenage heroes with catlike agility, who teamed up to solve crimes, of a hooded avenger who was the scourge of the underworld, of a scientific genius in a remarkable aircraft who fought master criminals. And, from legends came tales of a mysterious girl with otherworldly powers who appeared whenever danger struck.
The catlike agility sounds like Billy the Cat and Katie from the Beano, although other solo heroes do fit the same description.

SID

Post by SID »

Still haven't received an email with the information to allow me to access the first issue. In any case for me it is moot and I have requested DCT to cancel my Direct Debit. Don't get me wrong, I wish the new Dandy website all the best but for me, I will stick with the printed Dandy Annual.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's because issue 1 isn't out yet. I wonder how the pricing works anyway? The website says "register now and get 100 free credits, be the first to get issue 1", but I thought it was £1.49 a week? I want them to post this info on the website - especially for the benefit of those who didn't get the last print issue and therefore missed the (evidently incomplete) pricing info in there.

SID

Post by SID »

Ah! Thanks, Digifiend. Didn't get that as I read that the first digital "issue" was coming out on the same date as the last print issue. Presumably they meant Issue 0.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter as it was the printed comic that I was interested in.

But I do hope the kids love it. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

http://downthetubescomics.blogspot.co.u ... undee.html
Artist David Sutherland, Digital Dandy editor Craig Ferguson, writer Dan McGachey, former Dandy editor Morris Heggie, and artist Stephen White talk about the Digital Dandy.

An image at the bottom showcases some of Retro Active's superheroes. I believe the green one is Hotspur's King Cobra!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Its nice bring back old characters....
hopefully sub people will get there email tomorrow...will be very interesting to see a proper issue..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Release date change alert! Issue 1 is out tomorrow. So it looks like the digital Dandy is every Thursday.
You asked for it, and here it is! Keep an eye on http://www.dandy.com tomorrow evening for the highly anticipated release of ISSUE ONE!! What's been your favourite part of issue zero?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 918&type=1

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Found an interview that slipped through the net last week. Morris Heggie interviewed... and there are several points of interest.
http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/the-dandy-goe ... 6-to-2006/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Morris Heggie: Did you get both The Dandy and The Beano?
HeyUGuys: I did. And the Beezer, and the Topper, and then the Beezer & Topper. I was a complete fiend.
You would be a Tom Patterson fan?
He did Calamity James?
One of the things that we’re pleased about with the digital Dandy, is we’ve got Tom Patterson out of retirement. Tom had self-imposed exile, given up his drawings, but we’ve persuaded him to come back to digital Dandy, and he’s working on a storyline called ‘Castle Bleugh’, which is the usual, DC Thomson’s nonsense, drawn by a crazy artist. You will see it.
Now thats some good news...we've missed you Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

But with the new format, will you be exploring any of that?
With the new format, if you look at – not even going to the adult books, I’ll tell you about that in a minute – you know the likes of Moshi Monsters, that has this massive selling comic on the go. The comic came from a very successful website, web comic, and then back to print. That’s a very interesting concept that the Dandy could come right round and come back to print. If we’re successful enough. One of the things we can do, with the marvels of print-on-demand, and the fact that we have this site, is we could look at collections, individual collections of characters. That would be, I would say, an adult market for sure.
Right at this minute we’re in the middle of a major, major scanning initiative, basically to scan every comic we have. We’re working on The Dandy and The Beano at the moment, but we’ll do them all. That then leaves us open to print on demand a collection. I can’t say a definite, but I think that would be one of the ways you could monetise a digital comic.
Wow now this is really good news...
I would like all of the year 1961 Beano today..please send...

The future is looking good for this kind of thing...and great it will be on paper!!!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That paragraph you just quoted also says that success for the digital comic could mean a revival for the print title. I just hope technical issues don't drag the digital Dandy down.

David Gerstein

Post by David Gerstein »

I hate to say this, but Digital Dandy 0—which I sampled online—was extremely slow and glitchy, sort of like many interactive webtoons ten years ago or more. The results simply need to get more professional.. it breaks my heart to say this.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Peter Gray wrote:
Right at this minute we’re in the middle of a major, major scanning initiative, basically to scan every comic we have...That then leaves us open to print on demand a collection
I could see a Collected Billy the Cat as a huige seller, as would be Grant Morrison's Starblazer. In fact, I once tried to get the rights myself!
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I'd like a Print-on-demand collection of EVERYTHING. It'd be like a copy of Classics From the Comics that's about 3 miles high!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Mister X is in it? I think I know who you mean - but for `I.Spysshguy` and me; the only Mr X that counts is the one that was in `Sparky!`
A Face unclouded by thought.