Digital Dandy over?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

NP

Re: Digital Dandy over?

Post by NP »

WizzKid97 wrote:It says "Max Out your Menace Skills", "Exclusive Menace Missions", "Celebrity Menace" and "What's Hot? Dennis' Hotlists" plus the free 32 page story from Dennis' comic stash. Your point being? :?
I don't see anything there that is necessarily all about Dennis The Menace himself. You?
Digifiend wrote:Yeah, every one of those references Dennis in some way.
REFERENCES Dennis in SOME way.

Well, my mum wanted me to be a teacher but even she never thought I'd be teaching English Comprehension this way.
Lew Stringer wrote:You know, when I was a reader, time was when contributors gave clues as to a forthcoming comic's content, the reader would accept it, not obstinately stick to his own theories.
Times indeed have changed. Now our helpful hints are seen as rude interjections. Starscape has read what we've posted, though.

Anyway, you'll all see what the Megazine brings in a couple of weeks. I'm outta here.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

All subscribers were emailed this morning to confirm that the Digital Dandy has been suspended, and their subscriptions will be refunded - if you have 1700 credits or fewer, assorted combinations of the final print Dandy, the new Dandy annual or the Art and History of the Dandy are available as an alternative.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:shock: They still have stock of the last print issue? But it's been 7 months now! Hard to believe, considering how much trouble it was to get hold of one when it came out in the shops.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote::shock: They still have stock of the last print issue? But it's been 7 months now! Hard to believe, considering how much trouble it was to get hold of one when it came out in the shops.
I seem to remember that they were surprised by the demand, and so as not to be caught with their pants down, they rushed out a large reprint. Under those circumstances, it is quite understandable that they have some of that printing left over.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I don't know what to make of all this: the DANDY has tried everything humanly possible to adapt to the 21st Century, with ultra-moderne graphics as well as radical new technology via computer.

I sometimes get the impression that a lot of readers who are not commited comics buyers [ie: over 90% of the population] expect to see a lot of comics/cartoon stuff for free online.

In fact, I've never seen such an avalanche of comics/strip material so readily availible--on facebook alone, there's more stuff than you ever feel like reading, fresh every day, even on a Sunday, from all corners of the Globe, on every subject, to cater for practically every taste.

All these contributers are providing this service for 'free' [I used to do it myself, but have now ceased to provide 'free' content although I still put on 'reruns' which are seen by new readers] and although the quality is undeniably variable, a lot of it is intruiging enough to sustain the interest of many comics fans looking for new 'thrills'.

Maybe this is where comics are heading, it's more 'democratic', but bad news for cartoonists wanting to earn a living.

starscape

Post by starscape »

When we fully embrace the wonders of technology, we wont have to earn a living. Hydroponics in high flats, full automation, it will be full utilsation of the human race.

...but I digress :mrgreen:
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: I sometimes get the impression that a lot of readers who are not commited comics buyers [ie: over 90% of the population] expect to see a lot of comics/cartoon stuff for free online.
Definitely agree. It applies to all entertainment media too; films, games, whatever. People can get so much for free they expect everything gratis, unwilling to even pay up to a pound for a digital comic.

I can't see the public's attitude changing on this. It's not only the young generation with that sense of entitlement but their parents as well. (I know people my age who will only download pirated entertainment now. A "Why should I pay?" culture.)

Ideally, the way around it would be to offer digital comics free but financed by online advertising and ads in the digi-comics. Or even some sponsored strips. Hopefully creating enough income to give the creators of the comics a decent living. (Or even minimum wage would be nice.) Obviously that throws up its own problems; updating digital ads in the comics when they go out of date etc.

I've bought some digital comics from Comicology and the Marvel app but they are ridiculously expensive. Near enough the same price as the physical comics! At least the online Dandy was very cheap. (And let's not forget Aces Weekly which works out at just a pound an issue. http://www.acesweekly.co.uk/home)

One good thing is that it'll be easier to relaunch the digital Dandy than it would getting a paper version back in the shops, so let's hope we haven't seen the last of it yet.

Another alternative; would there be enough interest for a Print On Demand kids' comic I wonder? I suppose The Phoenix is sort of that model anyway.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Print on Demand? Isn't that exactly what they plan to do with the Beano and Dandy back catalogue?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Print on Demand? Isn't that exactly what they plan to do with the Beano and Dandy back catalogue?
So I hear, but I'm talking about new material, so us writers/artists can still earn a crust.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Here's a link that discusses the failures of the Dandy app (in their opinion):

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... t-forever/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Was this v2 of the digital Dandy as i'm sure they did a few issues then started from iss 1 again reprinting some or all the original stories or am i going mad & dreamed it all :lol:

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Yes, version 2 replaced much of the reprint content of version 1 with new stuff, added soundtracks to Nick Brennan's work, added voices to Dan's stories and fixed a lot of the technical issues with playback.

Version 2 was entirely free to those who had paid for the thirteen issues of version 1, but I imagine it lost interest very very quickly due to repeats.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, what they should've done is retroactively (excuse the pun) fixed the previous issues, adding the audio, navigation buttons and bug fixes. Or avoided some of the bugs entirely by not rushing to launch for the 75th anniversary. At the very least, they could've waited until after Christmas. Unfortunately, it appears that they never did squash all the bugs. And they should've more clearly posted a minimum specification for each type of device.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I can only imagine that editorial was told that the print edition was ending on the 75th birthday and that was it - no stay of execution.

SID

Post by SID »

Being a Dandy fan, I am very sad that the Digital Dandy has seemed to have failed after two attempts. But was it purely technical reasons?

Yes, I can see kids getting bored if DCT decided to relaunch the digital comic and "reprint" some of the stories. But was it just that?

I am still not convinced that DCT did everything it could to promote the new digital publication. How many people thought that The Dandy had simply gone? Case in point, I don't see much media reaction to this.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).