Fun Size Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Fun Size Dandy

Post by AndyB »

I noticed yesterday that one of the latest Fun Size Dandys has a John Geering Bananaman strip. Is this previously unpublished from just before John died, or is it a reprint?

Conor B

Fun Size Dandy

Post by Conor B »

Reprint. There's even been a reprinted ADVERT in a Beano one.
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Earl

Fun Size Dandy

Post by Earl »

You are lucky you can find this. I never see it in any of the local shops. It was only when I saw a copy on hols that I knew it was still running.

Earl.

Conor B

Fun Size Dandy

Post by Conor B »

Go to Asda. They usually have it. :)

AndyB
Throgmorton

Fun Size Dandy

Post by AndyB »

It gets worse. There's a Tom Williams Minnie in the Fun Size Beano...

I wondered, because the fun size editions haven't been running more than about five years, and in the (at least) fifteen years that the Comic Libraries were running, I don't remember any reprints.

Conor B

Fun Size Dandy

Post by Conor B »

Fun size Beanos have been around since 1996 though. That's not 5 years that's 10!!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Fun Size Dandy

Post by AndyB »

*blinks* Time flies. Doesn't seem it... then again, Classics from the Comics just celebrated its tenth birthday last year.

NP

Fun Size Dandy

Post by NP »

Fun Size Dandy have reprinted a few old stories from the Dandy comic Libraries. Very embarressing for some!

Corporal Clott

Fun Size Dandy

Post by Corporal Clott »

Just out of interest, what were they?

NP

Fun Size Dandy

Post by NP »

Dire

Corporal Clott

Fun Size Dandy

Post by Corporal Clott »

Great! For a moment I thought they might have been ones I wrote.

David

Re: Fun Size Dandy

Post by David »

Corporal Clott wrote:Just out of interest, what were they?
The comic libraries were much the same as The Fun Size comics, except they had only one story (unless it was one of the cartoon specials with lots of short stories) and were only three colours (black, white and red). Some had Topper characters too.

Corporal Clott

Fun Size Dandy

Post by Corporal Clott »

Actually, David, I meant what were the particular stories NP was referring to. I thought they might have been some I wrote. You?re right, they were mostly complete stories. During the time I worked on the comic libraries I did stories involving most of the characters from Dandy and Beano. For example, I did a story featuring a time machine and the Bash Street Kids in which I can recall doing a gag about the Roman coliseum. I also recall doing a story featuring Desperate Dan and a long eared dog with amazing powers of hearing. This one sticks in my mind because it was the result of a mix up. One of the editors had suggested a story line in which I assumed he was talking about this dog. He was, in fact, talking about something else! Fortunately, he liked my version and let me go ahead with it. I also did characters from other comics like Colonel Blink. Maybe it?s best for my ego if I didn?t know which ones NP considered ?dire!?

NP

Fun Size Dandy

Post by NP »

Well the stories were OK, it was the "artwork" that was dire... on about two dozen occasions that I'm sadly familiar with!!!!!

Corporal Clott

Fun Size Dandy

Post by Corporal Clott »

So, the artist screwed up - thank God for that!