Golden Fun

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

babington

Golden Fun

Post by babington »

Hello all. I recently bought a copy of "Golden Fun" no. 3 from 1975, and inside the front cover, the name of the editor Alan Clark is handwritten, along with his address. I wonder if this was Alan Clark's copy, or did he do that with all the early issues (it presumably had a low print run being a series of photostats stapled together)? Does anyone have another copy they could check?
Golden Fun No-4.JPG
Last edited by babington on 13 Oct 2017, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

klakadak-ploobadoof

Re: Golden Fun

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

My copy doesn't have those details. By the way, your message says No. 4 but the photo is of the cover of No. 3 :)
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Not sure where my copy of that issue is, but looking at the first issue it has a handwritten note from Alan and Laurel enclosed.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:By the way, your message says No. 4 but the photo is of the cover of No. 3
Yes, issue number 4 (Spring 1976) was a 22-page Comics 101 Special Convention Number with yellow covers. My copy contains a typed Notice To Regular Readers from the editors welcoming them to the new format special issue. Like Phil I have a handwritten note with issue 1. It is addressed to Tom Porter who ran the Midlands Old Boys Book Club at the time. I bought a number of his possessions at an auction after he died, which included his full run of Golden Fun.

I have just found the invoice from Andrew Grant - Fine Art Auctioneers that relates to the above purchase. It took place on February 21st 1991. My winning bid was £65. There was a Buyer's Premium of £6.50 and VAT on the premium was 0.98. I had to drive all the way down to Worcester the previous day to attend that auction. I think I stayed in a boarding house overnight. Worth it though!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I sold some Golden Funs on ebay a few months ago but still have this image:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Here is the Andrew Grant invoice.
Attachments
AGrantinvoice.jpg

babington

Post by babington »

Thanks all - I only discovered "Golden Fun" recently when I found a copy of 15, with Dennis on the cover, and then this one (no. 3, not no. 4) and no. 12, which is a Frankie Stein Winter number, with a great cover. Can anyone post covers of other issues? They seem to be very good...

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Number 1 wasn't a great cover. Sorry for poor quality image.

babington

Post by babington »

That's brilliant! A big thank you :up: