The Magic comic number 1

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

koollectablz

Re: The Magic comic number 1

Post by koollectablz »

The Dandy #4 that the gentleman also had bound with it was bought by Phil Shrimpton who by amazing coincidence is actually selling that very same copy on eBay right now.

The holes where it was bound are easy to match up:
IMG_9004.JPG
Even with the rips it has I think it's the best copy in existence and is easily a £2k comic. Maybe a lot more at auction depending if two people really want it.

newcollector

Post by newcollector »

koollectablz wrote:The Dandy #4 that the gentleman also had bound with it was bought by Phil Shrimpton who by amazing coincidence is actually selling that very same copy on eBay right now.

The holes where it was bound are easy to match up:
IMG_9004.JPG
Even with the rips it has I think it's the best copy in existence and is easily a £2k comic. Maybe a lot more at auction depending if two people really want it.
Yes, that is the Dandy I once had! I sold it at auction about two years ago I think, somewhat regret it now but I needed the money for something else!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Lovely comic! I don’t think I’ve ever seen Magic #1 before, I’ll be looking out for that if you decide to sell it!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

If you haven't already I would suggest you put it into a strong polythene bag. An upset mug of tea could be a disaster. Or, worse, a dollop of jam from a doughnut.

newcollector

Post by newcollector »

stevezodiac wrote:If you haven't already I would suggest you put it into a strong polythene bag. An upset mug of tea could be a disaster. Or, worse, a dollop of jam from a doughnut.
I must admit I'm concerned about how to best keep it safe, currently it is stored in a frame and kept out of the light. I only look at it occasionally so the frame helps to keep in flat, any suggestions would be welcome.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

newcollector wrote:
Digifiend wrote:You've got a good one there Thomas. How much did you pay for it? A few hundred?

I paid £300 for it back in 2009, it came from a chap who also owned no 4 of the dandy, and had it bound with other wartime and later comics.

I don't tend to handle it very often but today I decided to have a read, all very enjoyable!
Considering people are saying it's a worth a couple of thousand, you got a bargain. You'll be getting a decent profit if you decide to sell it.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I presume you have light sensors and motion detectors around the comic? :)

newcollector

Post by newcollector »

stevezodiac wrote:I presume you have light sensors and motion detectors around the comic? :)
I do now :D !!!!

newcollector

Post by newcollector »

I wonder if someone w ho owns a 1978 facsimile of the Magic comic would mind taking a few photos of it please, I contacted Malcolm Philips at comic auctions just to see what value he would put on it so I knew how much to insure it for but he belives my comic might in fact be a facsimile, he feels the cover looks to white. In truth when held it is much more brown/ discoloured than the photo suggests.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

I don't have a copy but I worked at the Vintage Magazine Shop when the reprints were produced by the shop's owner. IIRC they were in fact unbound extra copies of the individual sections of the D C Thomson Firsts book that Danny published. From your pictures I would confidently state that your comic is not one of those reprints which were on a different type of paper.

babington

Post by babington »

It looks like an original to me, though I would need to see it 'in person'. The reprint I have from "DC Thompson Firsts" doesn't have a serated top edge, whereas newcollector's comic does.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

newcollector wrote:I wonder if someone w ho owns a 1978 facsimile of the Magic comic would mind taking a few photos of it please, I contacted Malcolm Philips at comic auctions just to see what value he would put on it so I knew how much to insure it for but he belives my comic might in fact be a facsimile, he feels the cover looks to white. In truth when held it is much more brown/ discoloured than the photo suggests.
A 1939 comic would still be in decent condition if it's been looked after, as yours has. The facsimile had perfect straight edges, not serrated, and was printed on good quality paper thicker than that of your comic in the photos. It's obvious from your photos that it's not the 1978 reprint, and one can even see the newsprint texture of the paper from your photos, so I can tell it's not the smooth near-glossy paper of the facsimile. I'm pretty certain it's an original.

Basically, the real Magic No.1 would have the same paper texture as that Dandy No.4 you had. Newsprint. The 1978 edition was on white near-glossy paper and a slightly thicker stock.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Check your copy against the ones that Malcolm’s sold before. It may even be one of the same! http://www.compalcomics.com/cgi-bin/flattext.pl

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Robbie Moubert wrote:I worked at the Vintage Magazine Shop when the reprints were produced by the shop's owner. IIRC they were in fact unbound extra copies of the individual sections of the D C Thomson Firsts book that Danny published
The 'Danny' being Danny Posner. I mention this because most members will not have heard of him. Regarding the link between the unbound reprints and D C Thomson Firsts, the point didn't need repeating as I made it here last week.

newcollector

Post by newcollector »

Adam Eterno wrote:Check your copy against the ones that Malcolm’s sold before. It may even be one of the same! http://www.compalcomics.com/cgi-bin/flattext.pl
The paper used certainly looks the same to orginals he has sold so I feel Alot more happy!