How many original Commando stories have there been?

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

How many original Commando stories have there been?

Post by Kashgar »

Now that Commando has been published more than 5000 times I was just wondering how many original stories that has included to date, ignoring the reprinted issues? Is there a definitive list to check?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: How many original Commando stories have there been?

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:Now that Commando has been published more than 5000 times I was just wondering how many original stories that has included to date, ignoring the reprinted issues? Is there a definitive list to check?
Thanks to help from Peter Richardson and Vic Whittle, we have a definitive list. The current total is 5078 published, 3638 original stories, 1218 have been reprinted at least once and out of those 1218, 222 have been reprinted a second time.

The first story to be reprinted was Snipers Island which had been issue 72 and the first story to be reprinted a second time was D-Day Plus which was originally published as issue 187.

These figures only apply to the issues being published and not to any of the anthology books.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Thanks for that Col. Do you know if either Peter or Vic have complete collections?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Kashgar wrote:Thanks for that Col. Do you know if either Peter or Vic have complete collections?
I'm only 41 away from a complete collection now!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:I'm only 41 away from a complete collection now!
You've got plenty of incentive to get the rest then, Adam. Good luck with that. My collection of Commando, when I last checked, had as many issues in it as when I had previously checked. None whatsoever, and I have no current, or future, plans to add to my collection. :)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:Thanks for that Col. Do you know if either Peter or Vic have complete collections?
I don't honestly know in the case of Peter but I know that Vic converted most of his to cash some time ago and is using the money to bucket list like mad.

However, today I was informed that I had won a rather unusual piece and it will be heading my way next week when the Commando crew are back in work. Here's a picture of it.
24302316_1895217737185379_4618637464704646335_o.jpg

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Is that a poster from the Commando exhibition at the Gordon Highlanders Museum in Aberdeen. That was great, especially the talk given by the Commando people and Ian Kennedy.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

davidandrewsimpson wrote:Is that a poster
It looks more like one of those fairly big metal adverts from outside a newsagent's shop.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

davidandrewsimpson wrote:Is that a poster from the Commando exhibition at the Gordon Highlanders Museum in Aberdeen. That was great, especially the talk given by the Commando people and Ian Kennedy.
Yes it is the poster that was used for the exhibition and it was made up as a limited edition item to sell. And yes, it is a metal-style advertising plate that can be screwed to the wall so I have already picked out a spot for where it is going.

However, here is the gen from Calum himself:
Calum wrote:We took Ian Kennedy's original and had the tartan changed to suit the Gordon Highlanders for the exhibition we were having at their museum. (We even got on the telly!). Jim Dewar did the work on the illustration (digitally) and Grant Wood did the layout including all the effects and incorporated the original advert art at the foot of the panel, suitably coloured up.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:And yes, it is a metal-style advertising plate that can be screwed to the wal
That is a very nice item, Col, for a Commando aficionado like yourself. Well won! Well done! :D