Phoenix's Future Plans

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Phoenix's Future Plans

Post by Phoenix »

For Information Purposes

Several months ago I decided on the title for my next book. It will be called BUNTY AND HER SISTERS, the subtitle being The Great Stories. Prior to this post the only member aware of this was Ray Moore, with whom I have been discussing the book over the best part of a year, from well before I chose the title. I realise that there appears to be a fair degree of hyperbole in the subtitle but it can't possibly do its sales any harm, and in any case it clearly implies that those stories that are featured are the creme de la creme from the eleven story papers. Conversely it obviously suggests that those stories that I do not consider great will not be featured, although I will be as generous as I can be as I classify them all.

I've been reading up recently about copyright regulations, in which I have discovered that revealing my title on a public platform such as ComicsUK is enough to establish my copyright rights, not that I have any actual fears about anyone else intending to use the title of course, but I have done this to be on the safe side.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Good title!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Good title!
Thanks, Lew. I do realise that it is a while off but you will get a review copy.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:Good title!
Thanks, Lew. I do realise that it is a while off but you will get a review copy.
Thank you. I'm cutting back on reviews next year but I'm always happy to review your books.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:I'm always happy to review your books.
:up: :up:

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Hi Phoenix. I have twenty of the comics you listed, as follows:

1984 - 1297, 1299, 1300

1985 - 1317, 1319, 1320

1988 - 1467, 1481, 1487

1989 - 1532, 1533, 1536, 1542, 1550, 1553

1990 - 1591, 1593, 1594

1991 - 1622, 1632

I will have to look through them to see if there are any faults to report like missing pages or pen marks, but as far as I know offhand they're all in complete and good condition. I'll have a look when I get the chance and report back to you.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

helsbels wrote:I will have to look through them to see if there are any faults to report like missing pages or pen marks, but as far as I know offhand they're all in complete and good condition. I'll have a look when I get the chance and report back to you.
There is no need for you to worry about pen marks and suchlike, Helen, and I'm not going to be that bothered about the odd missing page. All you really need to do is to parcel them up and post them to me. I will obviously pay you in advance once you tell me how much they total up to. You could send me a PayPal invoice if that would be easier for you. Do you still have my address?

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Hello Phoenix - I don't have your address or email address any more. If you'd like to send me those in a message I can invoice you via paypal.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

helsbels wrote:Hello Phoenix - I don't have your address or email address any more. If you'd like to send me those in a message I can invoice you via paypal.
Hi Helen, I'm not really surprised that you don't still have my details. I'll send them to you in a PM in a few minutes.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

helsbels wrote:Hi Phoenix. I have twenty of the comics you listed
Your parcel was delivered just after lunch, Helen. I've inspected all the comics, which are in really good condition, and I have now fed them into my collection. Thank you so much. I did make a list of their content during a visit to the British Library many moons ago but having seen the stories and having remembered them are two quite different matters, so it is good to be able to refer to them again, and eventually to write an accurate three-line synopsis for any serials within them, such as The Girl Who Could Do Anything, and Ma's Kids that should make the cut for my next book, BUNTY AND HER SISTERS. :D

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Brilliant! Glad the comics arrived safely and were of use. :cheers:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Phoenix wrote:For Information Purposes

Several months ago I decided on the title for my next book. It will be called BUNTY AND HER SISTERS, the subtitle being The Great Stories. Prior to this post the only member aware of this was Ray Moore, with whom I have been discussing the book over the best part of a year, from well before I chose the title. I realise that there appears to be a fair degree of hyperbole in the subtitle but it can't possibly do its sales any harm, and in any case it clearly implies that those stories that are featured are the creme de la creme from the eleven story papers. Conversely it obviously suggests that those stories that I do not consider great will not be featured, although I will be as generous as I can be as I classify them all.

I've been reading up recently about copyright regulations, in which I have discovered that revealing my title on a public platform such as ComicsUK is enough to establish my copyright rights, not that I have any actual fears about anyone else intending to use the title of course, but I have done this to be on the safe side.
I like the title and will no doubt be buying one as i do like reading british comics reference books though i don't have any girls comics apart from misty and the few Judy's you very kindly sent me.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I like the title too! :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have already started putting the list together. There are 5164 serials across the eleven titles and I am aiming to select about 2500 of them. They would require 193 pages at 13 synopses to a page. An Introduction, heading block illustrations, and some pages of front covers will add more substance. Whether an index of titles will be required will depend entirely on whether I present the synopses in alphabetical order or not. Those of you who have a copy of This Was The Wizard will be able to get a reasonable idea of my current thinking on the matter.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Down here in the clean air of Cornwall, despite the rain and the cold weather, I seem to be able to think more clearly than I could in my own home. The format of my book on the girls' comics from DCT has become settled in my mind. The key change from previous plans is to present all the synopses in alphabetical order of story titles, the comic from which they come being identified in the heading for each title, but not in any way influencing that order. This approach will make an index unnecessary. Work on the preparation phase will start on January 4th. If any members wish to suggest any possible amendments prior to that date, I would welcome them.